1971 Dart 340 Six Pack

-

DartfulDodger

Reaction score
Hi all! I introduced myself on the "Welcome Wagon". I'll begin posting the progress of my current build...a 1971 318 Auto non-air Swinger. I've always been a B-Body guy but have been guilty of picking up A's that come across my path. This one showed up for sale in a parking lot several blocks from my store here in Tupelo. It was so solid and straight that I couldn't refuse it!

It didn't take but a few days before the tear down began...I just can't leave well enough alone.

Non-original 318 pulled. Hell,....everything pulled!

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

The floors are a Mopar dream....rock solid! Trunck...rock solid!!!

Seats, out....The engine is out....fenders, hood and doors, off....

Mopar sacrilege...engine bay spray bombed black.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

Yeah, I think I got it for around $2500 by letting him keep the 318 and trans.

One the front glass was out, the dash was next. For such a simplistic car, there sure is a LOT of wire under here. Some of the bulkhead connectors terminals have been burnt up and will need a new connector...thank goodness for parts cars! The drivers side door striker will definitely have to be addressed.

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

RUST MONSTER STRIKES!!!...I was so keyed in on how solid the bottom side of the Dart was, I didn't think about the top side. The curse of the vinyl top rears its' ugly head. When the headliner was removed, a whole mess of bondo ooze was hanging from the roof. This is bad news...

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

RUST MONSTER STRIKES!!!...I was so keyed in on how solid the bottom side of the Dart was, I didn't think about the top side. The curse of the vinyl top rears its' ugly head. When the headliner was removed, a whole mess of bondo ooze was hanging from the roof. This is bad news...
That hurt to look at.....

Looks like a very nice project Brother

I like metall work on Car
jjjjjjeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa

I have good clean roofs with inner structures for sale, shipping might be interesting but I am sure we could figure something out if your interested.
-Ross-

NEVER FEAR...DONOR CAR is here!!! The rusted out roof had to go!

I took a lot of structural measurements to ensure the body retains the proper dimensions. Once the top came off, the distance between the door jamb post and the hinge post moved barely a 1/16th of an inch, with NO bracing! I feel since the entire bottom end of the car was so solid, this helped maintain proper dimensions without the addition of bracing.

Thanks to all the kind comments...keep checking back daily, I have many pics to post.

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

The right side A-pillar was wasted...so I just sectioned in rust free metal from the donor. This was actually pretty easy.

As for setting the roof in place, this thing is heavy! I was however, amazed at how easy it fell right into place. In order to make up the 1/16th inch "drop" in the door gap, I just placed a floor jack under the rocker, mid way of the door opening, and brought her up to the proper dimension, and then welded both A and C pillar on the drivers side. Repeat above procedure for pass side.

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

You have bitten off way more than I would have. Good for you looking forward to your regular installments on your progress. Love those Darts!!!

Great thread! Doin some nice work! Subscribed

Thanks for all the comments...I'll keep it coming!

Like I mentioned above, the A and C pillars fell right in place. Notice the spot welds were cut out on the C. Those spot weld cutters are great. As for the A pillars, I joined the upper and lower sections at the factory seam...it was originally filled with lead but I plan to use Rage Extreme...good stuff.

The interior sections of the C pillars were carefully trimmed away in order to weld up with ease. Note, the pic I have shows a bit of a gap...this is actually prior to "pushing" the roof downwards thus creating a tight seam. Just didn't want ya'll thinking I was gonna weld up that big gap. :salut:

You can see the first round of welds in the last pic...

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

Trouble brewing...

Well, the rust has migrated south! The top of the qtr panel at the C pillar, where the original vinyl top was, has the same cancer as the roof had. Also, the filler panel along the glass channel is pot marked with the same pits and holes.

Also, the right qtr panel is FULL of bondo between the door jamb and wheel well! This greatly changes the game plan...new full right quarter panel AND filler panel.

Fortunately, Stephen's Performance is only a 2-hour drive from here. I call them up and they are heading out for a big show AND that they will have to order the AMD qtr...it could take a few weeks to arrive. They have NO PROBLEM with me coming to pick it up.

It's time to take a break....or is it???

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

Now is as good of time as any to build a rotisserie. Since the new qtr panel is a few weeks away, I decided to stoke up the ol' Miller and weld up what has become one of the most invaluable tools in my arsenal.

I believe materials ran about $300. I had some extra DP40 and DP76 in the paint locker, so what the hey...

Also, what a wonderful wife I have for allowing me to keep my projects in the drive!:love3:

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

-
Back