1971 Dart Detonation Issue

-

frumharlem

Reaction score
Good afternoon. I wanted to kick this issue out to the field of more experienced folks than I. My Dart has had the following and running for over 2 years:
1. MSD 6AL Box
2. MSD Blaster Coil
3. MSD Distributor (8534 Billet HEI Mag trigger Mechanical Advance)
4. 318 engine

I recently rebuilt by steering column and some suspension and header improvements. I initially had an issue where I only had power on the Yellow ignition switch and the starter would crank but no spark. I have resolved that issue, and it ended up being the new Ebay switch was defective.

Now I swapped it and she fires up! However, she is backfiring and popping. After a few pops it will shut off, and the battery is to weak to re-crank. If I put it on the charger, it will fire back up after a minute of juice.

When I did the headers I put new plugs in and I am Pretty SURE I put the plug wires back the same order. I know for a fact that I did on the driver's side. The passenger side MAY not. I used masking tape and just numbers each from 1-8. not by fire order but by cylinder front to back. So, the passenger side is either front to back 5,6,7,8 or back to front 5,6,7,8. I tried both ways and no difference.... which also seems odd.

The only other change was that I was told that with my set up, I can go from 6V to 12v to MSD 6AL, by connecting he wires on the left of the ballast to the thin red wire off MSD. I did this, and thought that was the issue. Like I said, I had been running the 6v Ballast set up for over 2 years fine. I tried again both ways. With the Ballast connected and without. Still backfires the same.
To be equal, I just realized that I need to try with ballast and the other possible plug order on passenger side and see if that helps.

Check your plug wires, find #1 wire & trace the firing order. Firing order is 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2, in a clockwise rotation. I think you will find a plug wire or two out of place.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 9.56.07 PM.png
I did the plug wires again, but it still is not starting and flames are coming out the carb. I also just bought a new MSD Blaster 2, thinking maybe the coil was bad and that didn't fix it. IT is crazy because I did not change anything other than rebuild the steering column, swap new headers and new tie rod ends and spark plugs. It was running however the plug or plugs were on wrong, but backfiring. Now that I fixed the plugs it won't run and still backfires!

-
Back