1971 Dart windshield leaking

-

A68DART360

Reaction score
Hello all. Happy Holidays. I am thinking of starting off the new year with another Dart but was talking with owner and he was telling me about an issue with it and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem as a previous 71 Swinger I had also had this problem. The owner was saying that the front windshield rubber was leaking and caused the front floor to rust, but did not know where the leak was coming from but he has heard that it was a common problem on this body style. The 71 Swinger I had leaked on the top part of the windshield rubber to the right of the rear view mirror. Let me know.

That's pretty common as are a number of other leaking points such as the wiper pivots and the cowling if the drains are plugged. If it's the windshield it can be sealed but better yet would be to remove it, repair any rust in the window frame and channels and then remount it with a new gasket and also sealer if needed.

My 70 leaked from the left front from when it was new. Wasn't cowl, wipers; the gasket. And good luck. Buddy with a 69 Charger restro- we needed a gasket-plant burnt down; now prices triple. Finally find one, get local guy to install. Leaky leaky leaky. And I helped him; he did use butyl.

Make sure the leak is from water passing around glass and not from rubber gasket poorly mounted to body, cowl leaks, or wiper seal problems. When water is sprayed on outside of windshield and it quickly wicks to the inside of windshield between glass and gasket forming puddles on dash, the following will fix this problem:

3M makes a black glass sealant to be used to bed glass in rubber gaskets. It remains supple for life, and will seal glass to rubber gasket, but allows glass to move in rubber gasket. My Dart had this problem, the 3M stuff works, but it is expensive at about 25 bucks a tube. A local hot rod builder recommended a glass shop he uses, I drove the car over for them to look over the job, and they took care of it in about an hour for fifty bucks total. I never got my hands dirty, and no more tidal pool formations on my dash if someone spits on the sidewalk within a mile of the car... LOL

Thanks for the info. The car that was in question was kinda far from me to get but I was patient and this one below fell in my lap. This car has a lot of options.

Attachments

• IMG-20130105-00765.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 221
-
Back