1971 Dodge Dart Rancho Cordova, CA. Pick-N-Pull (Not Mine)

-
The thing that pissed me off about C4C was that virtually 90% of the new cars bought were foreign made... If your accepting government money it should have be spent on US Products...

I didn't like our taxes buying private autos... Wanna guess how I feel about all the free government money schemes in the last few years?

This isn’t the political forum.

And “foreign made” and “US made” is a tough distinction with any new car. Toyota and Subaru both have multiple manufacturing plants here in the US that account for a lot of jobs and build many of their cars sold in the US. Meanwhile Ford, GM and Dodge all have plants in Canada and Mexico, and have some of their parts made overseas as well. Hell Stellantis owns all the Mopar brands and it’s international. It’s not a clear cut distinction anymore regardless.

My niece was looking for a car to buy during the CFC era and asked me to go along so we headed to the local "automile".

For some reason, I pulled into a local boneyard. They had rows and rows of mostly large cars and pickups with CLUNKER painted on the windshields.

What I temember most was a disproportionate number of early 90s Dodge pickups. I went to the office and asked if they were selling parts off the clunkers. "Nope, not allowed at all!" Everything got crushed as is. The new design 93 and up Dodge trucks had terrible rust prevention and most had holes within 5 yrs.
There were a LOT of 5.2 and 5.9 Magnums that just disappeared.

My niece was looking for a car to buy during the CFC era and asked me to go along so we headed to the local "automile".

For some reason, I pulled into a local boneyard. They had rows and rows of mostly large cars and pickups with CLUNKER painted on the windshields.

What I temember most was a disproportionate number of early 90s Dodge pickups. I went to the office and asked if they were selling parts off the clunkers. "Nope, not allowed at all!" Everything got crushed as is. The new design 93 and up Dodge trucks had terrible rust prevention and most had holes within 5 yrs.
There were a LOT of 5.2 and 5.9 Magnums that just disappeared.

Yeah same, I don't recall seeing much of anything I wanted anything to do with being C4C'd.

There may have been a ton of Magnums that went that way, but, they're still easy to find and not all that expensive. They made MILLIONS of those things.

same here. TONS of cars with probably usable parts got the sodium silicate treatment, and then they purposefully marked all of the engine components with paint so you couldn't buy them. then just dumped the carcasses in the rows amongst all the other cars.

but the yards are sill RIFE with magnums if that's what you're looking for. they're stacked up damn near like cordwood.

"cash for clunkers" (CFC) was an Obama program if recalled. Remember the nineties SUV's put out at the then new Albuquerque pick a part then. They had put something down the intakes of engines (ruining them) and then spraying the engines with spray paint. A lot of good TBI and early SEFI V-8's were ruined by that program.

-
Back