<==1971 duster front end suspension! Need suggestions.

-

340Dust-her

Reaction score
I have a 1971 duster which has been sitting for the better par of 15 years. I've already modified the induction on the 340. I'm installing a rebuilt 904 tranmission and just redid the whole rear brake setup. I'd like to have this as my daily driver. I believe the whole front end suspension is Stock and originallly this car had a 318. I'd like to stick with the original torsian bars because I'm on a very tight budget and the front end isnt sinking. Anyone happen to know of a site or location where i can get a Complete front end bushing kit? I'd prefer to stay with rubber then polyurethane.

Lastly, I was told that you need a special tool to remove/install the balljoints. Can anyone specify this? Anything else I should look out for?

There are a couple of companies to get the front end kit like Just Suspensions and PST. As far as the as the ball joints, its just the upper that you would need a ball joint socket. Being a 71 you would need the smaller one.

You can usually "rent" a front end tool kit at your local auto farts place. Plan everything out and make sure you have all of the CORRECT pieces and tools and it should take you the better part of a day.If you don't have access to a press for the LCA bushings you might be in for a long couple of days..depending on how many beers are involved. :) ..... OH and measure the length of the tie rods from center to center so that when you put them back in you can at least make it to the alignment shop

Upper ball joints are screwed in like a big bolt or pipe fitting.
I've seen front end tool kits for sale (approx $150) that include both size ball joint sockets. Even if you decide to use a pipe wrench be sure to clean the exposed threads (wire brush , WD-40, whatever) before backing out the old one. There are only 4 or 5 threads in the upper arm and they can be stripped.

-
Back