1971 Plymouth Scamp

-

moparmusclecars

Reaction score
A local guy has a 71 Scamp in orange color that he claims is one of 3 made in Canada that was used a show car. It is a basic 318 with auto car. It was wrecked and he is looking for parts. He said the quarters, doors, and fenders were different that the standard 71 Dart Swinger I own. I measured them, and the quarters measure out the same, as does the doors. The only difference I see is the fender itself it longer due to no fender extension. My Swinger has the extensions. So is the fender just like a 70-71 Duster fender? That's what it looks like. Also the grill looks just like 70 Duster grille. Anyone clue me in on this car. I told him I didn't believe the only 3 in orange paint rumor. I could swear I have seen countless 71 Scamps in orange color. I don';t believe this car is rare in my opinion. Is it rare because there may not be a lot of them running around? Probably. When i speak of rare I mean one of 11, or one of 165 built, etc. Rare in any of these cars might mean not a lot built, but it doesn't always mean it is worth a lot of money. Anyone know what interchanges with the quarter, doors and fenders? I was going to tell him to get the quarter (for 71 dart swinger) from AMD, door skin (dart swinger), and fender for 70 Duster. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 71scamp1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 431
You are right with your parts. They are basically a Duster front on a Dart back. As far as I know most parts will interchange like that. Slight differences in years are marker lights, headliner, gauge cluster, front bumper, maybe grill color, argent vs black.
Love the slots, mine didn't work out for me.

He may just think the door is different than a 71 Dart because it looks different. It is easy to get confused if you don't know the cars very well. I remember when I first got my 70 Dart, my cousin had just picked up a parts 72 and it had the Ramcharger 340 scoops on it. He offered me the whole hood for $50 and I turned it down because I didn't think it would fit my 70.

Like stated its all 71 Dart from the doors back (except the rear bumper which uses 70 tail lights) and 71 Duster from the doors forward

But the doors are the same, correct? The door on his scamp measures exactly as the door on my dart swinger. Some of this he may be confused, but also he likes to think how rare his car is. I would appreciate you guys posting any oranges 71 scamps you find on the net. thanks!

well, I guess the question is whether it's one of three that were orange (unlikely) or one of three that were made as show/display/demonstrator/ whatever-you-want-to-call-it which is more likely (but I still can't help with whether it's accurate or not)...

oh, and I'm pretty sure the door skins are the same, but the internals are different of course (because of the huge differences in the side glass between the duster and the swinger lines)

Rare... LOL NO!!!

Is it unusual to see scamps running around now, yes. 1 of 3... nevermind with that nonsense, usual owner fluffing.

If it was a show car for Chrysler, the fender tag would likely show it. IMO, that's about the ONLY possible significance of the car.

-
Back