1971 Road Runner in Phoenix Not Mine

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the 3 speed possible on a Roadrunner from the factory? For some reason I thought the 4 speed was standard and the auto was the only transmission option. 71 is my favorite year and that looks pretty nice for the price.

looks like a good car for the price. definantley havent seen a 3 speed road runner before...

3 speed was standard starting with the 70 model year

There is a guy near me who has a 70 yellow, black top, 3 speed.
I have a pic but it isn't digital.

Yes, 68 Sedan is correct ; 1970 was the first RR with 3 speed in the floor standard. Of which I also have a yellow, black painted top, post; a purple, white painted top, post; and a solid lime green hardtop with a factory air grabber. Wayne

3 speed standard huh? maybe 68 is my favorite RR after all! LOL! I have never had a RR but I have had 3 Satellites, a 68 convertable, and 2 71 Sebrings. 3 speed manual just doesn't seem right for a performance package car.

I also thought 3 speed manuals were not a good choice for high performance cars back in the day, but I learned differently.

In 1970 I purchased brand new a Duster 340, 727, 3.55 Sure Grip.

A neighborhood acquaintance also bought a 1970 Duster 340 with the factory standard 3 speed manual tranny on the floor, but he also added the 3.91 Sure Grip rear.

That car was very tough to beat off the line and was very strong! I saw in disbelief I might add, that car beat even 4 speed 340 abodies! The gearing that was matched between the first gear in the tranny and the 3.91 SG was unreal!

Who in there right mind orders a high performance car with a 3-speed??..

It was made the "standard equipment" trans to get around insurance issues. And who in their right mind? The first manual trans available in a Max Wedge was a 3 speed.

the three speed was a standard option on the road runner in 70. you had to opt up to the four speed or three speed auto. my dad had one just like this when i was younger and then my older brother tried to drive it like dale earnhart and wrapped it around a tree. this is an awesome deal for those that are close enough to go get it. if i lived in west texas instead of louisiana it would be mine already. lol

Mine was a 383 3 speed car.Now a pistol grip 4 speed.

Purple Runner.jpg

roadrunner%20ebay%20pics%20%2845%29[1].jpg

That car looks like a good buy, likely can be had for less. On the 3-speed in 1970 the standard engine combo on both the Challenger R/t and Cuda was a 383 3 Speed, Auto and 4-speed was optional. I had a 70 340 3-speed Cuda in the late 80's and it was a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back