1971 Scamp 26" Radiator

-

Jeff Oest

Reaction score
My 71 Scamp came with a 26" radiator from factory but no longer is in the car. Does anyone know what the original part number was and the dimensions of this radiator or what others would fit. Would like to stay original but I know I may not be able to. Thanks!

In order to determine which rad came with your car you must know what engine it cam with . You must also know if your car had factory A/C . I don't have the #'s for 26" rads , just 22", sorry . I have a good 26" rad I'm not using but would cost a fortune to ship . Try Rockauto.com . Usually they are pretty good .

In order to determine which rad came with your car you must know what engine it cam with . You must also know if your car had factory A/C . I don't have the #'s for 26" rads , just 22", sorry . I have a good 26" rad I'm not using but would cost a fortune to ship . Try Rockauto.com . Usually they are pretty good .
318 with A/C. There is a 22" in it now but would like to go back to original. Thanks for the reply!

Don’t see a 26 in a 72 down A body. Even the 340 with air had a 22” rad. Can u post a few pics of the core support. Kim

I've looked also and 71 doesn't show a 26" but mine has it listed on the fender tag. The 22" in it now had been replaced by previous owner and he didnt have the original one. Must have trashed it.

So far in my lifetime I have never seen a factory 72 down A body car with a 26” rad. Kim
The 22 in it had holes drilled out for it. I can see the 26" holes. 22" doesnt fit the core support correctly either. I will have to post some pics.

Please do.
20161201_211549.jpg

The very top row of the fender tag would list “26” if it had a 26” rad. What proves on the fender tag in the picture it has a 26” radiator? As others have said, if it has the heavy duty cooling package then it would be a 3 core 22” rad pre 1973.

If your ‘71 Scamp does have a 26” rad now then the previous owner put a ‘73+ A body 26 rad in it and drilled extra holes in the 22” rad core support to fit. Or perhaps it does have a 26” rad core support and the previous owner swapped that with the 22” rad core support at the same time.

Instead of a picture of the fender tag, post a photo of the rad in the car, preferably from an angle in the front.

The very top row of the fender tag would list “26” if it had a 26” rad. What proves on the fender tag in the picture it has a 26” radiator? As others have said, if it has the heavy duty cooling package then it would be a 3 core 22” rad pre 1973.
What's the 26 on the tag? There is no 22 listed on the tag anywhere only 26.

I can tell by the core support it had a bigger radiator also than a 22. The 22 is to small for the core. Core hasn't been cut or messed with either.

This has
Then that must be the only 72 down A body on the planet with a factory 26” rad. Kim
Lol! That's what I'm wondering. Everything I have seen says 22 for the 71 but not a 26. Maybe a special order for it. I know mopar did some off things once in a while.

No 26" radiators listed for 71 A bodies. 22" was the biggest. 3443975, 976 and 977 both with N45 and N51 options. Interesting the fender tag has 26.

I think it was established that the 26 isn’t for the rad. Kim
It is listed as "radiator diameter" in the Galen book. Diameter? WTF is he talking about. I find quite a few mistakes in his books.

This is a first for me. I to would need to see a picture of the rad support with a tape from hole to hole. side to side. and the opening. That is a pretty well optioned car with great color combo's

VH23:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
High
2 Door Hardtop

G1R: 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Windsor, ONT, CAN

167238: Sequence number

E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.
FE5: Bright Red Exterior Color
D6XW: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black/White
TX9: Black Int. Door Frames
B24: Build Date: November 24
103199: Order number

V1W: Full Vinyl Top, White
U: USA Specifications
26: 26in Radiator
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C55: Bucket Seats
F11: 46 Amp Alternator (std with AC)

G37: OS Dual Racing Mirrors
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings
M31: Belt Moldings

M88: Decklid Moldings Treatment
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V7W: Accent Stripes, White
END: End of Sales Codes

could we get some pictures of the car. That thing should be restored. Some pretty unique options such as Dual racing mirror option.

Yes interesting about that radiator. The hole in the radiator support isn't even that big is it? I just put a 22" in my 70 Swinger and the hole wasn't that big.

Here is a pic of the car. I've had it about 3 years. Had to put it on hold after I got it but now is time to start on it again. A friend of mine had it for about 10 years. I believe he got it from the original owner. It was sold locally so always been in Illonois and is pretty solid. Car has only made it about 60 miles from original dealership.

-
Back