1971 Steering wheel mounting nut

-

French demon

Reaction score
I would like to replace my steering wheel nut, it's slightly damaged and hard to screw on the shaft
I don't find much on internet, and mainly for Ford or GM. And it seems to exist different nut sizes depending of the year of production.

I'm lost. What are this nut specifications for 1971?

Is this one ok?
NOS Mopar B-Body Steering Wheel Locknut Charger Coronet Satellite Plymouth Dodge | eBay

Any help will be appreciated :thankyou:
François

Last edited:
The nut is fine thread 1/2'' 20 thread pitch. Nothing special, any hardware store.
But if you want factory that be it.
Oh South of France,, Maybe not unless your hardware store has standard and metric.

Thank you for the specifications.
I don't absolutely want an OEM nut, but I am in Europe and U.S screws, bolts and nuts are hard-to-find here.
OEM parts are sometimes the only solution.

Thanks to your specifications, I found the correct nut (here, its french denomination is "diamètre 1/2" 20 filets au pouce")
Thank you again, you've been very useful for me.... :thumbsup:
François

I don't strongly disagree with above post because anything is possible, but I have never seen a steering wheel nut loosen.

I have never seen a steering wheel nut loosen.

Neither do I.
But currently, I've got the opposite problem. The nut thread is damaged, it gets stuck halfway when I screw it on and prevents me to completely put in place the steering wheel on the shaft
The steering wheel is slightly too high, the horn ring doesn't touch the horn switch. Not a big gap, but still a gap.

Sounds like you need a thread chaser tool to clean up the threads.

Francois, do I understand you ordered one of the nuts from Ebay? I know I have a new one around here I'd send to you. I'd just need to locate it.

Oh, thank you, it's a kind attention but it won't be necessary to send a nut overseas.
As I told above, here, the standard for hardware is metric. To buy non-metric hardware, we have to order it on internet and of course, it takes a couple of days to arrive...
I think I’ll receive the nuts I ordered on Wednesday

Last edited:
I received my new 1/2" nut. It screwed like a charm onto the shaft and now the steering wheel is securely and fully installed.
Horn and T/S cancellation are back.
:thankyou: again Darter, you've been a great help

Last edited:
-
Back