1972 340

-

trigger_andy

Reaction score
Hello all,

just a quick question regarding a 340 out of a 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye I can get get my hands on. It looks stock from the images and Im wonder what 'seat of the pants' differences I'll notice if I drop it straight into an A Body with a 904 over a 318 with Headers, Eddie Performer intake and Carb? Also, do the later 340's like 4 speeds?

Many thanks,

Andy

The cam and the higher compresssion ratio will make a big difference. But be aware that the 340's started dropping compression ratio some about that year IIRC, so the change would not be as dramatic as with a '71.

I personally can't imagine any issues with the 4 speed; maybe someone else knows better.

what year 318? the 1972 340 was only around 8:1 compression ratio, the same as the average 318. the 340 has more cam, bigger valves, around 30 more horse and 30 more torque than a 318 with a 4 barrel and dual exhaust. 4 speeds are cool, but a snag with a 1972 and 1973 340 is they are externally balanced, so they need the rare 1972/73 340 counterweighted flywheel, and make sure the crank is drilled for a manual trans

Hello all,

just a quick question regarding a 340 out of a 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye I can get get my hands on. It looks stock from the images and Im wonder what 'seat of the pants' differences I'll notice if I drop it straight into an A Body with a 904 over a 318 with Headers, Eddie Performer intake and Carb? Also, do the later 340's like 4 speeds?

Many thanks,

Andy
the 340 loves a four speed. especially with a l/w flywheel. the 72 340, are mostly internal balanced. look at dampner on front, If it has a horse shoe, it's external balance, no shoe it 's internal balance. there is a bearing that fits where convertor snout goes for input shaft. fits any crank.

Thanks for the reply guys. :)

My 318 was built for the Aussie Market and is most likely built in '71 with some in Oz saying they have a slightly higher CR than the American ones.

The 340 is from a low mileage car and as I mentioned looks stock. But its quite pricey and if I buy it there would be no funds for any kind of rebuilding this year so that's the main reason I wanted to know if it would be much more fun outta the box. Knowing its s '72 year with most likely low CR. Looks like the few extra cubes and bigger valves and cam would make a difference. :)

I was unsure if it would be that noticeable but hopefully it will be. :)

Andy

-
Back