1972 360 Balancer with 1967 273 Timing Cover

-

MidnightSwinger

Reaction score
I’m building a 360 for my 67 Barracuda 273. I’d like to use the 67 Timing cover with the 360. Can I use the balancer from the ‘72?

I know the marks will not be correct, but I can remark the balancer, I have the MP timing tape for reference. But will the balancer fit and work with the 273 pulleys?

image.jpg

image.jpg

you're going to have to get creative with the pulley spacing because the dampener is thicker. you'll also need to elongate one of the holes to make the crank pulley work.

the smarter/easier play is to find 360 pulleys that match what you're trying to do-- ie ac/no ac, ps, double belt on the fan/alt. and then just use the 273 cover and call it done.

As long as you use the early cast iron water pump, the pulleys will work. the only difference will be that the late balancer has a symmetrical bolt pattern, and the early pulleys had 1 offset bolt hole. 5 minutes with a rat-tail file and you're in business.

Last edited:
you're going to have to get creative with the pulley spacing because the dampener is thicker. you'll also need to elongate one of the holes to make the crank pulley work.

the smarter/easier play is to find 360 pulleys that match what you're trying to do-- ie ac/no ac, ps, double belt on the fan/alt. and then just use the 273 cover and call it done.
The balancer is thicker, but I thought the face where the pulleys bolt on was in the same relative position? The pulley fit inside of the balance ring. I could be wrong, or just senile... but I know I've done this before, a time or two.

The balancer is thicker, but I thought the face where the pulleys bolt on was in the same relative position? The pulley fit inside of the balance ring. I could be wrong, or just senile... but I know I've done this before, a time or two.
A better shot of the crank pulley on the balancer, definitely recessed.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I’ve got the whole accessory drive from both motors. Both are non ac, single groove alt,power steering cars. One uses the Chrysler pump(67) and one has the Saginaw pump 72. The 72 has a dual groove water pump pulley though.

image.jpg

I can't see why it won't work, as long as you use the cast iron wp as mentioned.
You will definitely want to mock it all up.
I had similar concern with new TF balancer on my 340 as the TF was way thicker than the thinner oem balancer.
Get both balancers side by each and measure depth differences.
**edit** pics attached

20230111_214918.jpg

20230111_215005.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see why it won't work, as long as you use the cast iron wp as mentioned.
You will definitely want to mock it all up.
I had similar concern with new TF balancer on my 340 as the TF was way thicker than the thinner oem balancer.
Get both balancers side by each and measure depth differences.
**edit** pics attached

View attachment 1716271421

View attachment 1716271422
I can’t see the pictures

-
Back