1972 Dart Swinger

-

fenderman33

Reaction score
I picked up this '72 a couple of days ago. It's a 225 2bbl/904/7.25 like everything starts out life. The tow truck driver parked it in front of one of my bay doors with no keys to unlock the steering wheel. I put an lock cylinder in it and got it running the other day. Some genius cut the harness off of the voltage regulator and ran the hot wire to an electric fuel pump. The pump works great, but the alternator won't charge for some reason?
I imagine it was the same person who tried to pry off the locking gas cap and left two pry bar dents in the side of the car.
Overall it's in decent shape. I've got to get a key cylinder to the locksmith so I can get into the trunk and find out what's in there. I found a center console in the back seat, so hopefully it'll be good.
It's not really as nice as it looks in the pictures, but are they ever?
The idea is to get it running and driving safely and then sport it around to the shows and beach this Summer while my Duster is in a million pieces for another year....
-Jon

Dart1.jpg

Dart2.jpg

Dart3.jpg

Dart4.jpg

when i got my 72 dart the guy had told me that the fuel tank had a hole in it so he had to cut the trunk floor out in order to remove the fuel tank, i also found stuff stashed all over the car like trim screws in the ash trays in the back seat

First things first; find the guy that sold you the car, and go beat his ***.

Then enjoy your ride--you'll feel better.

Nice car! Good find. I don't think I have ever got a car from some one that did not need a few half assed things fixed. Yours don't sound to bad. Good luck with the build.

I ended up pulling the drivetrain and front suspension out of it and putting in the k frame and front suspension from the '73 Duster with disc brakes.
Also a megasquirted 5.2 Magnum and OD 833 4 speed swap.
I don't have pictures of the engine on this computer, but here is the exhaust we tacked up today. It was one of Jeg's cheap bolt together kits that we modified so it actually fit and added a summit x-pipe to with thrush welded mufflers. I'm still undecided on what to do for tail pipes, so I'll probably turn it down in front of the axle for now.
I'll be swapping to a 8.75" in the next few weeks.

-Jon

SI855718.jpg

php4rmTjLPM.jpg

phpPn1bHEPM.jpg

Hey Jon it looks like its coming along great. I really appreciate the front suspension you gave me because its going to go on the 72 Swinger Special I just bought that didn't have any front suspension.

Looks good Jon, should be fun to drive while you finish the Duster. By the way, if you ever want to part with it let me know because the front clip will fit my Demon.

If it's not too taboo, what'd you have to give for it?

Looks look a real good resto start.

The wheels look killer! Any clearance issues on the front? Did you have to run a 3/8" spacer? Any outer tie rod end/upper control arm clearance issues?

Im liking what I see! The exhaust looks professional. Wanna do mine? Lol,I hate exhaust work. The hoist is the only way to go when doing exhaust...

what type of hedders are those they look good.
They're Doug's headers. They were the uncoated versions sprayed with the Hi-Temp spray paint. I never had an issue with the coating on my Duster's headers, but we'll see after this one is fired off.
-Jon

It's hard to say exactly because I traded another car in part and had to pay for the title work. Somewhere around $1,000 probably?
The small bolt Cragar SS wheels will be going up for sale as soon as I get around to posting an ad for them.
-Jon

If it's not too taboo, what'd you have to give for it?

Looks look a real good resto start.

I used a 5/16 spacer in the front I believe with a longer wheel stud. There were no clearance issues except the passenger side zerk fitting. I'm going to be lowering the front ride height a little bit more also.
-Jon

The wheels look killer! Any clearance issues on the front? Did you have to run a 3/8" spacer? Any outer tie rod end/upper control arm clearance issues?

I dislike doing exhaust work as well. My business partner did the finish welding and it turned out great. As long as doesn't leak at the header gaskets, we'll be all good.
Thanks for the compliments.
-Jon

Im liking what I see! The exhaust looks professional. Wanna do mine? Lol,I hate exhaust work. The hoist is the only way to go when doing exhaust...

Here's a picture of the motor in there. There's still some buttoning up to do yet.
It looks allot dirtier in the pictures...someone should do something about that.
-Jon

SI855735.jpg

I used a 5/16 spacer in the front I believe with a longer wheel stud. There were no clearance issues except the passenger side zerk fitting. I'm going to be lowering the front ride height a little bit more also.
-Jon

i'm trying to run the same wheels on my dart. i'm thinking of doing the longer wheel studs and spacers but how wide are your wheels?

-
Back