1972 Demon Build

-
Got the car from Gary this morning. Super guy and super deal. Swap meet surfing for some smalls. Pics with Big Daddy. Good time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 747
You be safe as well. Rare find in someone like you that is an honest soul. I will be in touch to get some graphics for this car when it is time.

Man, it was tough walking through that show. It started to give me the itch...saw that duster and demon in the swap meet area and wished I had never sold the car...

Lol. I will sell it back to you when I am done...wife told me not to sell it like it is so I will go after the bodywork and metal work first..

This motor is under my small block build thread. Decked and prepped 408 Stroker. Mahle Pro Coated Premium Forged Lightweight .040 pistons on 4" stroke Scat 9000 crank and Scat Pro Ibeam rods. Balanced assembly to be mated to a built 904.

Attachments

• crank and rods.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 684
  • 408.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 637
  • 408 rods.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 653
  • 408 heads.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 670
  • 408 heads 2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 695
  • 408 date stamp.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 689
Sorry to hear everything got soaked on the Demon. Best of luck with it!
The PO let my Duster sit outside uncovered for many years.
Once I got it home, I vowed to never let the car see rain again...:D

Day 1 in the shop pulled everything out to dry it out. Back glass out and we got really wet on the way back from Garlits. complete AMD floor pan and trunk pan on hand. Going to strip this car to the bare bones once I get through with this final. Having surgery in December...we will see how far I can get.

Attachments

• trunk.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 679
  • firewall.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 669
  • Demon engine bay.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 653
  • interior dash.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 654
  • back seat.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 698
  • demon day 1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 678
  • demon day 1.1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 699
That's funny DD....not let them see rain. The 72 Swinger was spotless, sky looked a little gray this morning, but we needed to get after getting the Demon inside and in line for metal work. The we had Gump rain again.

Id really like to subscribe to this thread, how do I do that?
I'm starting on my '72 Demon 340 that I've owned since '83.

Well thanks for wanting to subscribe. I am still learning. At the top of this thread there is a tab marked thread tools. Click it and scroll down to subscribe. Thanks for looking.

Well thanks for wanting to subscribe. I am still learning. At the top of this thread there is a tab marked thread tools. Click it and scroll down to subscribe. Thanks for looking.

You got it!
I'm 47, worked on these cars most of my life, and still find I'm never too old to learn something new every day!
Best of luck on your Demon, I'll chime in if I can help at all, and will definitely Follow close.
Thanks!

If you don't have these, Maybe they will help, Remember I'm new at this. Still Figurein' it out

Attachments

• 72_Dodge_Dart_Demon0009.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 538
  • 72_Dodge_Dart_Demon0008.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 543
  • 72_Dodge_Dart_Demon0007.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 535
  • 72_Dodge_Dart_Demon0006.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 544
  • 72_Dodge_Dart_Demon0005.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 555
  • 72_Dodge_Dart_Demon0004.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 568
  • 72_Dodge_Dart_Demon0003.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 631
  • 72_Dodge_Dart_Demon0002.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 568
  • 72_Dodge_Dart_Demon0001.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 640
  • 72_Dodge_Dart_Demon0010.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 556
Thank you for the pics! Very nice. Unfortunately I am not a purist or fortunately. Not sure which applies. As was the case for my 74 Swinger and my 72 Swinger R/T (1/1)....lol there will be nothing stock about this car when I am done. It was a base slant 6 with upgraded hubcaps, power steering and manual brakes. Yes putting it back that way was an option, but not for me. There will be a mix of old a new. Stay tuned.

Ok. Setback number 1. Put the motor on the run stand. Ran for about 3 minutes before utter disaster. Seems as though my attention to detail was off. The heads came from a machine shop and were "gone through". I assumed the valves were new. Well...as the valve snapped in two and was inhaled by the cylinder, all hell broke loose. I literally could have puked. Inspecting the valve showed it had some old hurt that just couldn't take it. Completely disassembled, put into plastic and set aside until I can not be angry.

Yeah it does. I officially don't trust anything at this point. When I do get back on it I will use the machine shop that I usually use. It is way out of the way for me which is why I used the other. Valves were out of the heads to port and do 3 angle job. Not sure how it was missed or why new valves were not installed. Bottom line is I will get new valves and springs myself. I can get by with a new piston and sleeving the cylinder. Just debating re-machining a new block instead.

Ok folks. As much as I would like to build this car I think it is just not going to happen. I have contemplated wrapping it up and storing, but that just ain't happening either. So here's what the plan is going to be. Gather all my receipts, see where I am, stick a firm price tag on it. If it doesn't sell I will get along on it and raise the price as I work.

-
Back