1972 Duster 340 4 Speed Ignition wiring Problem

-

b1mmuo27

Reaction score
Just when I thought I got it all figured out I have a little wire fire at the engine side of the bulk head connector. The J2 16DBL fried about 12" of wire out from the bulkhead. There was actual flames. I put it out pretty fast & I am not really sure what started it as I think it was bad connections. I am an electrician by trade & the wire was pretty crispy. I have removed the ballast resister & connected the wires together. I also have replaced the J2 16DBL wire from the bottom of the steering wiring wheel harness & connected back to the two sides of the cut out burnt wiring. this is where the problem starts . I have no starter relay coil voltage. The yellow wire coming down from the ignition switch. to start the car I use an alligator jumper wire from the positive battery post to the junction B2B 18BK which was connected to where the ballast resister use to be. It starts with the key but I have to take the jumper off to shut the car off. Long story short I am missing yellow wire coil voltage. I put in a new ignition switch & nothing is coming down on the yellow wire yet when I jump it with the alligator clip wire it has to be back feeding as it then does have voltage & powers the yellow wire on the coil. Confused? so am I.

Did you figure out issue , as I see this was a few weeks ago

This is a 72 Duster
B2B 18BK neutral switch side C bulkhead , others ide of neutral switch goes to W and to flashers an radio

J2 16DBL ballast side N thru bulkhead to ignition in steering column , dash/gauges/lights..maybe radio

-
Back