1972 duster /6 drums

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello FABO,
When I push the brakes on the ol Duster, I have to pump once before she gives me pressure. I feel like its gonna be the master cylinder that gets replaced. Before I go and start throwing parts......What say EWE??

manual brakes
slant six
drums all the way round

Also, the dash brake light will come on when on that first pump.
Also, in the rain last week the rears I believe locked up first. I dont usually drive in the rain but yknow.....it happens.

Otherwise no pullin when stopping.......

When I call NAPA, they give me a part number M2066

I have an ol RMC 36221 on the shelf if that will work.

I also have a bendix 11323

20240702_141245.jpg

I fit needs a master cylinder, I bet two whole dollars the wheel cylinders are leaking too. I'd pull the drums, take a pick or small screwdriver and pull the wheel cylinder boots back. I bet fluid drools out.

I fit needs a master cylinder, I bet two whole dollars the wheel cylinders are leaking too. I'd pull the drums, take a pick or small screwdriver and pull the wheel cylinder boots back. I bet fluid drools out.
I would bet you are correct. I have had to add lately. Ill check the backstock on my wheel cylinders too.

Thanks RRR! Ill PP you the $2

I would bet you are correct. I have had to add lately. Ill check the backstock on my wheel cylinders too.

Thanks RRR! Ill PP you the $2
LOL. I'll add this as well. Unless the wheel cylinders are pitted BADLY, I would hone them out, clean them up good and install new seal kits. They are factory original castings and not cheap chinkesium replacements. Metallurgy makes a difference.

LOL. I'll add this as well. Unless the wheel cylinders are pitted BADLY, I would hone them out, clean them up good and install new seal kits. They are factory original castings and not cheap chinkesium replacements. Metallurgy makes a difference.
I guess if Im honing and refurbishing I should do the same with the master? OR, if one of the masters i have has the same fittings/bore could I use one of them? The bendix 11323 comes up as drum/drum.

I guess if Im honing and refurbishing I should do the same with the master? OR, if one of the masters i have has the same fittings/bore could I use one of them? The bendix 11323 comes up as drum/drum.
Sure, you could easily rebuild the master cylinder as well.

The Bendix brake catalog shows 71 and 72 use one master cylinder for 9 inch and one for 10 inch.
Bendix 11516 is for 9 inch drum with 15/16 bore.
Bendix 11574 is for 10 inch drum with 1 1/32 bore.

-
Back