1972 fuel tank venting

-
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, can't find related thread to my question.
I puchased a non vented gas tank. The car originally came with a tank, vented thru the charcoal canister, which I has since removed as I am restoring the vehicle. Can I just buy a vented fuel cap to solve my venting issue, or is there more to this I need to know?
1972 Duster Thanks......

If you're tank is non vented, then I suspect you'll have to track down a vented filler neck, and vent it to the atmosphere (not in the trunk). The '72 can be converted to a vented neck by adding a nipple high in the neck, and attaching the appropriate plumbing. Like this.......... I am using a 1970 Duster filler neck on my 1971 Demon as I acquired a non vented tank as well. Good luck.

1684863068284.jpeg

You can view the vent systems by going to MyMopar.com, and (free) downloading the service manual for 72, then an earlier one for 67-67. Regardless of "what you had" if you can, I would go to the early system, pictured above. It is a simple tube in the neck, goes up against the rear quarter upper panel (to break siphon) then follows the tube down through the floor gasket, and is simply open ended, inside the hollow frame rail.

If you can do any fabrication, you should be able to weld/ braze/ silver braze a fitting into your existing filler tube, as well.

There never was such a thing as a factory vented cap for A bodies, and the pressure/ vacuum relief caps used on the evap controlled cars CHANGED almost every year

Below, original caption by Steve, "OldManMopar" said:

left to right 67 - 70, 71, 72 - 73, 74 - 76 unleaded only servicable

dscf2699-jpg.jpg

cant u just add vented gas cap? i think gates makes one that looks stockish

-
Back