1972 Scamp in New Zealand

-

Baptist_Ben

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just purchased this 1972 Scamp, it is a fresh import into New Zealand (other side of the world to you chaps)

It’s a 318/904 combo with a 7 1/4 rear end.

My plans are to get it road legal over here and as such I’ve ordered a heap of parts from rockauto.com

It has a fair bit of surface rust so my first job before installing any of that is to remove all the underseal so I can send it out to have the underbody blasted and painted, then I will re underseal everything to ensure it lasts for another 42+ years.
It has a little bit of rust to be repaired so I’ll do that once the floor is stripped.

Anyway looking forward to your feed back

Cheers
Ben!

Not bad at all. I love it, another Scamp saved! Good luck with the build. My daughter spent a 1/2 year in New Zealand (Christ Church I think) and loved it! Keep us updated.

Not bad at all. I love it, another Scamp saved! Good luck with the build. My daughter spent a 1/2 year in New Zealand (Christ Church I think) and loved it! Keep us updated.

Cheers mate, yeah Christchurch is a beautiful place, I spent about 6 month down there when I was in the New Zealand Air Force working with the US Air Force loading planes to Antartica, great times.

I can only imagine what you guys have to go through to get parts, etc. down there. I enjoy hearing about Mopars in NZ, as I was born in Invercargill, and all my family on my Dad's side is there. Haven't been back since '85, but I keep promising the wife we'll go someday...

Getting the regular service items (ball joints, steering components, shocks, suspension bushes, brake components etc) that I needed for its entry compliance check through rockauto was easy and I had them at my door within a week which was awesome, I’ve had previous experience getting parts in when I built my wife’s 1961 Belair Lowrider, I suspect it will be when I come to modifying it that it may turn out to be a bit more difficult to get parts etc

Hey guys, just a quick update,

My wife and I have been looking for a new house with better shedding, currently we have a 3 bedroom house on a standard 1/4 acre plot that has a 42 sqm (452 sq ft) shed, but with both cars and all my stuff it’s a tight fit plus it’s low roof height means there’s no way I could get and use a hoist(I’ve been spoilt by my years as an auto mechanic). So we have bought a bigger property (family requirements) 4 bedroom on 1.2acres with a bigger 70sqm (753 sq ft) shed (my requirement haha) it’s a barn style shed so has a high stud in the centre which will be perfect for a hoist.

The downside to this is that the people who are buying my house want a fast settlement. As in we have three weeks to pack everything up ready to move house.

What this means for the Plymouth is that I need to get it to the panelbeaters to have the roof tidied up (where the factory leading has been removed and poorly bogged) and repainted.

However I had started to replace brake components and had run into issues with the fixed lines braking. And I hate making brake lines, in all my years as a mechanic it has always been my most hated job,

I had borrowed a double flare kit from a good friend of mine however the 3/16 mandrel centre pin is bent and I couldn’t for the life of me get it to do a nice straight flare. So I stumped up and bought an Eastwood 3/16 double flare tool,

43687183282_0c1128ede5_b.jpg

42830846205_bd34c61969_b.jpg

It’s called an on car double flare, however you can remove the handle and mount it in a vice. The flares come out very nice and it’s way easier than using the conventional style double flare tool.

Broken lines have been replaced. There are more that need doing but that can wait until we are in the new house and I have had the underbody blasted and painted,

Cheers
Ben

Well house move is completed, unpacking is about 65-70% done, which means I have been able to start working on the shed to make it a workshop as it has been converted into a living space, so is fully lined and insulated and has a heat pump (spoilt I know) however it has a kitchen and walls where I don’t need them.

44415134482_ed63bd45f3_b.jpg

43555120365_112c39719f_b.jpg

ive started on removing the kitchen

43555121345_a20004d8b2_b.jpg

carpet will be removed next. And today I ordered a hoist, got a new 4 ton single phase motorex hoist so should have that in the next week or two then will move the walls on the other side of the barn and life will be good,

anyway while this had all been happening the car had been at my Panelbeaters to have the roof stripped and repainted (but mainly to get them to store it while we moved)

went and had a look today, overall the roof is in good condition, and we are just waiting to have the screen removed so we can see what’s hiding under the seal

42655534640_8cd6b71ee9_b.jpg

And today my new tyres turned up

44464708361_6c2620e1b7_b.jpg

will get the wheels to the a chap over here called the steel surgeon to be widened once I get the car back from the panelbeaters and then have the wheels painted to match the roof, and will hopefully get a set of dog dish hubcaps or some spun bullet centres

slowly doing heaps of jobs that have no bearing on getting it legal haha

43847575924_e7efd0eb30_b.jpg

I also got a good deal on a 500cfm edelbrock carb and performer inlet manifold. Should hopefully make a bit of an improvement over the factory 2 barrel stuff

just waiting on getting the car back from the panelbeaters at the moment, there was a hold up with the guy who was supposed to remove the rear windscreen as he got sick and ended up in hospital. Hopefully he is back at work on Monday and then work can proceed.

Rear screen is out and it’s good news, no significant rust, just a bunch of scale, it’s being cleaned up now (and any Pinholes being sorted) and then the roof can be painted and the screen refitted.

43725066125_47d88afb2c_b.jpg

43725066265_0d15c95cd4_b.jpg

29695725467_e2a3dd8e45_b.jpg

Hanging out to have this home again so I can work on it.

In other news The car sounds like it has a collapsed lifter, so today I ordered a comp cam/lifter/double row timing chain/valve spring kit from Summit racing. I hadn’t planned on it but if I was going to go to the effort of replacing lifters I may as well upgrade stuff.

Gotta love it when the fedex man arrives.
44012169424_4e43a66f03_b.jpg

Just received this from Summit racing, ordered Wednesday the 12th, delivered to NZ on Monday the 17th. Can’t complain at that.
Panelbeaters says I should have the car back Friday. Then it’s all go!

Gotta love it when the fedex man arrives.
View attachment 1715224825
Just received this from Summit racing, ordered Wednesday the 12th, delivered to NZ on Monday the 17th. Can’t complain at that.
Panelbeaters says I should have the car back Friday. Then it’s all go!
If you don't mind my asking, what was the courier company that delivered those fine products?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw where you mentioned it.

Finally got the car back from the panelbeater, am very happy with how it’s come out,

31196803438_a255b6610d_b.jpg

still need to move one more wall in the garage so I can get the hoist installed, but I’m currently swamped by the multiples of jobs that need doing when you first move into a new house, also we have a 1978 Anglo caravan that we are making useable for the family Xmas holiday so hopefully I can find some time to do more work on this haha

Very nice car, and I love your new garage. We just moved and we have a 750 sq. ft. L shaped garage I am trying to get sorted out. I need to get a shed for the garden stuff, and then a hoist is on the agenda.

Cheers mate,
To be honest I’ve always dreamed about having a hoist at home but never thought I would end up with one.

I’m lucky with this house in that there is another single car sized shed, a lean-to on the back of the main garage, plus a couple of other little garden sheds. So I have plenty of storage for all my rubbish haha

Because Cletus reckons drum brakes are lame. I bought some VJ valiant

(Australian A body see below:)

43396337960_c78b99c157_b.jpg

disc brakes, bbp but hoping I can make Something work from them as I want to keep the 14” rims

30270447717_5c0bc26c0f_b.jpg

got 4x callipers, 2 Aussie A body Disc brake spindles, upper an lower control arms, torsion bars and steering linkages.

Really only wanted the spindles and 2 callipers, but for $350 nzd (including shipping from one end of NZ to the other) I couldn’t complain, once I’ve used what I need, I’ll stash the rest for a rainy day.

If the rotors are the smaller 10.8" dia BBP 14s should clear. My 74 dart parts car had that diameter rotor, and 14" rims. Show us a pic or 2 of the calipers and mount brackets. I bet they are the same or similar to U.S. spec ones.

If you go BBP fronts, will you upgrade the rear to BBP as well? I am upgrading the front and rear on my sons 69 barracuda to BBP. Using M body front discs, and a ford explorer 31 spline 8.8 disc brake rear axle. Even had 1/2" RH lug studs. Not sure but aussie falcon rear axle may work for you. Maybe the hotter V8 GT falcon with the good gears and a locking diff? It may be an 8.8 as well. Parts are plentiful and dirt cheap. I know the ford pass car and light truck axles in the U.S. are same bolt pattern as mopar BBP. Not sure about OZ or NZ though.

Last edited:
If the rotors are the smaller 10.8" dia BBP 14s should clear. My 74 dart parts car had that diameter rotor, and 14" rims. Show us a pic or 2 of the calipers and mount brackets. I bet they are the same or similar to U.S. spec ones.

If you go BBP fronts, will you upgrade the rear to BBP as well? I am upgrading the front and rear on my sons 69 barracuda to BBP. Using M body front discs, and a ford explorer 31 spline 8.8 disc brake rear axle. Even had 1/2" RH lug studs. Not sure but aussie falcon rear axle may work for you. Maybe the hotter V8 GT falcon with the good gears and a locking diff? It may be an 8.8 as well. Parts are plentiful and dirt cheap. I know the ford pass car and light truck axles in the U.S. are same bolt pattern as mopar BBP. Not sure about OZ or NZ though.

Haven’t had a chance to pull it all apart yet, think the VJ came out with a 284mm rotor which is just over 11” so will have to assess.

Unsure what my rear ended plans are at this point, if you think finding an 8 3/4 over in the USA is hard try over here haha. I think an 8.8 explorer rear may be the best option over here, The Aussie V8 fords use a BorgWarner BW78 but they are around 61” wide and unfortunately they aren’t easy to narrow

Looks great!

Cheers man!

You guys talk funny.
Panel beaters = Body shop.
Windscreen= Windshield.
Bog = Body filler.
Sorted = Corrected/Figured out.
Shedding = Garage space.
Rubbish = Junk/Garbage
It is fun to see these little differences in the English language.
Great car....good luck with it.

Haha wait until I start talking about the guards, bonnet and boot (fenders, hood and trunk)

Languages are funny, but the language of love of cars is universal!

Thanks mate, still got a way to go, but the juice is always worth the squeeze when it comes to classics!

-
Back