1972 street strip swinger

-
make sure you clean the engine deck surface really good around the head locating pins. in the picture it looks like you cleaned the deck but have some trash around the dowel pins. I like to use scotch brite on a 90* angle die grinder at low speeds. then clean with lint free rag and rubbing alcohol prior to assemble but you could still do that if you tape off the lifter valley and point an air gun at the surface while you clean.

Sure did, I got the decks as clean as I could, that area around the down is a discoloration, but the scotch brited fixed that

Got the heads and intake all on, waiting on shims so I can set up the rockers and finish closing it up

In all its glory

_20151111_223042.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my motor and trans in, and installed the new champion radiator, I still have to fab up a bracket for the alternator I picked up yesterday, going to use a delco 7127 63amp 1 wire. Also have a big box of parts coming from summit to get this thing broken in

IMG_20160104_140710410.jpg

Well parts got here, new mini starter is in and wired up, plug wires cut and installed, fuel pump wired in, new pre bent transmission lines installed with a trans cooler. now I'm just working on getting a bracket made up for my new alternator

The fender well headers make starter installs noooooooooooo easy. As well as access to the plugs

Well, after getting a new battery and dumping a little cam2 down it throat it fired right up and ran at 2300 for 15 min. Then idled it down

Thanks!, just some minor issues I need to take care of, where the water pump impeller bolts into the housing has a small leak, and the water neck has a leak, my main concern was the rear main seal but it didn't leak in break in so hopefully it stays that way lol

What's all the white stuff? ;) Those water pump leaks may just be thread sealant issues.

Ha-ha, that was just when the snow started, now we have 20" and its still commin down.

I'm in Fairfax, Va was going to build my 318 this weekend but this storm took a dump on those plans. Will be a long time before I get a chance to break it in, too many goodies to buy.

Nice looking ride. Keep up the good work. I have one that I've been wanting to finish up and get on the road for quite a while. Life gets in the way if you're not careful.

Also, I dig the R, but it's got one too many wheels. ;-)

thanks! i got a new job i start Thursday, its a new project at the VA hospital in martinsburg, its a bit of a ride at about an hr 15 min but the pay is too good to pass up. up next is mono leafs with caltracs, new bbp axles from dc.Diff, frame connectors, check over brakes and rebuild front end. sometime this spring or summer ill get to work on the body and spray some paint. it going white with a black hood.

I'll have to gather some pics up, but I fixed the water pump leak with a mezeir electric pump, installed a permacool 16" electric fan. I also got a new set of front wheels and tires, and rear wheels with 255 drag radials.
Took out the 741 case with 3.91 gears and put in a 489 case with 4.56 gears and a spool. Along with superstock leaf springs and Mopar shocks.
Front end is rebuilt with new everything, a new set of calvert 90/10 shocks along with qa1 upper control arms.
Now I'm starting the lovely process of body work and paint! The dart should be white in the matter of days....once this rain starts to let off. If all goes well the plan is to have it at cruise week in ocean city on the 19th!!

Nice looking ride. Keep up the good work. I have one that I've been wanting to finish up and get on the road for quite a while. Life gets in the way if you're not careful.

Also, I dig the R, but it's got one too many wheels. ;-)

Just read back over this, and you must be a three wheeler guy. A friend of mine just got a 250r 3 Wheeler with an esr110 big bore kit, runs on 100 octane VP fuel. That is a sketchy ride for sure!!!!. Better have a steel set of nuts to rip that on a trail lol

well since getting the motor in and running I wiped a lobe on the 590 cam. so I switched to a 557 cam, put in a firecore distributor, switched to .039 felpro head gaskets making it 10.4:1, painted the car, and have been out driving. most say that's too much compression for pump gas and iron heads, but I put 5gal of 93 in it and no sign of knock or pinging, still have some carb tuning to do but hopefully to the track soon!
IMG_20160918_165659817.jpg
IMG_20160811_103541577_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160811_103614196.jpg

Little update, I tore the automatic out of the car and have been working on the 4 speed swap, all I have to do is cut and fix the bellhousing ballstud bracket to get the z bar straight. Gear banging videos coming soon!!!

-
Back