1972 Swinger exhaust nightmare

-

stingerdart1972

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanted to share my experience over the past few days with my 340 Dart

Bought DOUGS HEADERS, and the FLOWMASTER American thunder 2 1/2 inch exhaust for the car...

WITH CAR ON A LIFT

I Ran into having to remove both torsion bars, Pitman arm, clutch linkage and had no choice but to mix match my new motor mounts.... Just to get the Headers installed.

That said and done they fit excellent !!!

Anyone have this issue ?

Then went to install the exhaust system and the X-Pipe is not even close to the installation to even come close to getting the rest of the system to line up...

anyone have a issue with the x-pipe ?

My car is a 340 with a 4 speed

Thanks for your time

Are they working from the tips forward to get to the X or the other way around?

Often times exhaust kits are build to work with many different headers, so when you install them with long tube headers like dougs, the head pipes might need trimming

Are they working from the tips forward to get to the X or the other way around?

Often times exhaust kits are build to work with many different headers, so when you install them with long tube headers like dougs, the head pipes might need trimming

YES....Started from the back forward and there is no way the X-Pipe is even close to fitting, it's just completely wrong

I'm going to call the exhaust company Monday, if I have no solution I'm going to have to go to the custom exhaust place and have them make up front pipes

I never have any problems.
I don't run headers.
F.A.S.T

Going to call the company on Monday... If I don't get a solution I will be bringing it to the muffler shop and get front extension pipes made up to meet the mufflers.

I could have fit 3" on it also...

I can't start the engine without the exhaust system being complete, I built up the whole topend ...with new cam and aluminum heads on up.

Wouldn't be right

Huh. I run TTi and had no issues, buy you rarely hear anyone complain about Doug's either. I went to a local exhaust guy and he ran 3" rolled exhaust all the way back with an H pipe and Flowmaster 40's for $400. Beat the hell out of me cussing and swearing and trying to get a clean weld.

Huh. I run TTi and had no issues, buy you rarely hear anyone complain about Doug's either. I went to a local exhaust guy and he ran 3" rolled exhaust all the way back with an H pipe and Flowmaster 40's for $400. Beat the hell out of me cussing and swearing and trying to get a clean weld.

I hear ya...

I read on this forum about how great everyone's experience was with these products. So I went out and got them. I'm thinking maybe the X-Pipe could be wrong...IDK

I just wanted to share what I was going through.

Nothing has been easy on this Car

I bought this car the first week in September and drove from Massachusetts to West Virginia and back in 26 hours to pick it up.

It's so unbelievably clean for a untouched 44 year old car body wise, undercarriage and interior.. But a complete mechanical fiasco... BUT almost unheard of up here in the north east to run into a rust free vehicle...hahaha

I've rebuilt and replaced everything else on the car

Wish I could talk to the guy that built this motor, I'd punch him in his face, he put smog 318 heads on a 340 motor

Bla bla bla... I'm ranting

Anyhow thanks everyone for the feed back

I'll be doing the same project shortly. Dougs headers on a 318. Haven't decided on the rest of the system yet.

I dropped off my heads to have them rebuilt today and the owner of the place was telling me that the 360s are getting hard to find and that some people are putting 318 heads on the 360s. I imagine 340 heads are even harder to find. Just so you don't have to punch anyone in the face.

Exhaust for these cars is always a pain especially headers. if you run headers, run the good "behind the linkage" headers. I ran Headman years ago, and installation was a PITA, as well as the fact that the right side header always crushes flat over bumps etc. I switched back to exhaust manifolds in the end just to have a nice close fitting system in regards to ground clearance. Does anyone know if they repop the exhaust manifolds yet?

-
Back