1972 Valiant 8 3/4 Rear Swap

-

Hyper72Valiant

Reaction score
Just became a member, i'm a noob and am trying to figure out what parts I need to swap in an 8 3/4! I own a 1972 Valiant /6 completely stock, 9" drum all around, 7 1/4 w/2.76, A-904, etc... I have some parts for this 8 3/4 swap, but, don't know what all I need. I need to get this swapped in soon because I just got my car inspected/emissions crud done and my car barely passes on the rear brakes, minimum is 1 and I had 2 (mm's I assume). Anyways, I would rather not spend money on repairing the 7 1/4 brakes and just spend money on putting on the 8 3/4....

Ok, here are the parts I have:

-8 3/4 A-Body Width Housing
-11" Backing Plates Attached to housing, but, have 10" Backing Plates to put on (10" backing plates should fit 10x2.25 or 10x2.5 right?)
-8 3/4 3.55 Sure Grip 489 Case just broken in
-8 3/4 Shock Plates and U-Bolts
-8 3/4 Axles (I think they are A Body width Axles...from bearing retainer (I think it's called) to Spline edge was 25.5", I think I read it should be 26", maybe I measured wrong)
-Parking brake levers and struts (I think they are for 10" brakes, how would I know?)

That's all I have in my garage. I will be swapping on a front disk brake conversion at the same time most likely and have all the parts for that I think based upon: http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/dbconversion.shtml

All I know that I need are these:

-Proportioning Valve (I don't need a distribution block and a proportioning valve do I?)
-Brake Lines Front to Back (where to get?)
-Disk Brake Master Cylinder (...recommendations?)
-Brake Springs, Hardware, and 10" drums (where to get, altogether would be best)
-Shortened Driveshaft
-Some guy told me I will need flex hose?...I thought getting a kit for lines front to back would cover all I need on the car?
-Same guy said I need a "vent"? Don't know what that is..

what parts do I need to complete this install? Can I use any parts from my 7 1/4 that is currently on the car?

PLEASE tell me guys what I need to do. Sorry it's so many questions in one post but I know you guys know your Mopars!!! THANKS in advance

-
Back