1973 360 block thickness?

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I,m back with more questions LOL.I have a line on a 1973 360LA engine(carb to pan)Is the 73 360 block one of the thicker cored blocks like a 71-72?It doesn,t matter to me cause I,ll probably be buying this for a stroker re-build.Just thought I,d ask if it,s one of the thicker cored blocks.Also would the heads be worth anything?Thanks.

Not 100% sure but werent the early 360 heads the same as the 340 haeds? I know they had j heads on the early 360s. Might get lucky and score a set.

The 71 thru 75 360's used 340 water jacket coring thus creating thicker cylinder walls,
but the only real way to tell is by sonic testing

Thanks Corey,if they are X,J or O heads they will go for sale(not needed)I,m more interested if it,s one of the thicker cores like the earlier 360,s.

Are you still in Iraq?If so,be safe!

I just checked my Stroker Small block book and it says the 71-74 blocks have more material in the bore area making them stronger and a better candidate for stroker applications.

I just checked my Stroker Small block book and it says the 71-74 blocks have more material in the bore area making them stronger and a better candidate for stroker applications.
Thats what I wanted to hear!Thanks again Corey,now go blow something up!I just did on the weekend.(my 410ci):banghead:

It,s been a good day so far for me.I sold my 489 chunk with 4.30 spool and just made the call for this engine.I pick it up on saturday.WooHoo!

Way to go Scott! Come to think of it at the '10 Moparfest I remember an oldtime Mopar guru on stage answering questions from the crowd and one of the questions was the same as yours. I cant remember the exact years, but he said if you flip the blocks upside down, there is a noticeable difference. The old timer is Herb Mccandless....google his name

There has to be a difference. Things got cheap in lots of ways during the mid to late 70's. Look how cheap GM bumpers were made in the late 70's vs the early 70's...Mopar hung on better but still cut costs..just not as much.

I'm sure any year 360 block can be just find but if you have a pick, go for the pre 75 stuff, the older the better.

Thats good info to know especially being that I have a 73 360 in my Dart. I purchased the complete car that the motor was in. It came out of 73 Fury III. Bought the complete car at an auction in Virginia for 200.00.

My 74 blocks cylinder wall thickness wasn't any thing special. In fact after sonic checking a .030 overbore was considered safe but didn't want to go .060.

Core shift was a problem for them back then so each block must be checked.

I've been preachin this and gettin argued in the corner for a long time. But the book has it incorrect about the 74 block. It's the 71-73 360. The same years they made the 340 and 360 consecutively. ...and it's EASY PEASY to confirm. Just take an early and late 360 block and knock a freeze plug out between two cylinders of each and compare the space between the cylinders. You'll see much less space between the cylinders on the early block. But like Guitar Jones says, best bet is to sonic check them, because core shift was a problem.

My 74 blocks cylinder wall thickness wasn't any thing special. In fact after sonic checking a .030 overbore was considered safe but didn't want to go .060.

Core shift was a problem for them back then so each block must be checked.

I'll add none of them should be assumed anything special, because of that problem.

Thanks for all the responces guys.With very limited 360LA,s available in my area(mostly scrapped with vehicles)finding this complete 73 engine(carb to pan)priced right,I need to jump on it.I wanna get the block in and checked pronto and get the ball rolling for the rebuild.I will pull my engine this weekend and see whats salvageable.Hopefully won,t cost my last arm and leg.:banghead:

Thanks for all the responces guys.With very limited 360LA,s available in my area(mostly scrapped with vehicles)finding this complete 73 engine(carb to pan)priced right,I need to jump on it.I wanna get the block in and checked pronto and get the ball rolling for the rebuild.I will pull my engine this weekend and see whats salvageable.Hopefully won,t cost my last arm and leg.:banghead:

Dang, you still got an arm and a leg?!?

-
Back