1973 Dart Swinger Build

-

HAWAI'I

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am a MOPAR Newbie and I think I like it!

I decided to chronicle my build here to not lose focus on the car and to also seek help when the need arises. I am very glad that there is a wonderful community with knowledable people that help out each other. So to everybody.. Thank You so much.

The car would be my weekend car, more of cruising than racing but would be nice to have the extra oomph. I love the PRO STREET looks, fat tires on the back but no roll cage..yet.

On to the build!

I recently purchased this vehicle early Nov 2012, I bought it out by Apple Valley, CA and I left it with my In-laws for a couple of weeks since we went out of town three days after the purchase.

The car looks like it has good bones, straight body, Good interior except for the messed up carpet, cheap front bench upholstery that did not match the rest of the car and the gunk on the engine BUT it ran! Registered, drove it all the way to my Inlaws which is about 3 miles away. It does have a bad water leak, (looks like a pump problem) and a little tranny oil leak. Oh yeah, it's Green on Green.

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

Sitting at the INLAWS driveway, the day I bought it.

The night I got home, I started ordering stuff, my wife is telling me that I should take care of stuff before we leave rather than reading and buying stuff over the internet. (hahaha! Silly Women!)

You, sir have the makings of a nice project! Nice to see another '73 being brought back to life. Good luck & have fun.

Thanks Saetun!

I see you are using most or the same parts that I have in stock the only difference are brands, I got an Eddy 600cfm, a Summit Cams.

What did you use to run the Throttle linkage to the 4 barrell, I am planning to get some Lokar Kits from summit. LOK-KD 2904HT(Kickdown Kits & LOK-SRK-4000 (Throttle Cable Bracket)

How is your car running?
Do I need anything else? Like the Throttle Cables? LOK-DP-1000HT?

So, I came back from our trip and came back last week, looking thru CL, I found a cheap 318. Seller said that it was put together last year with new components but was never finished, it was a backyard rebuilt and he lost interest. the item was too cheap to pass up so I got the truck and headed his way.

The idea was to have a running car and have another engine rebuilt so when the time comes, I will just do a sitchero and have the engine from the car rebuilt and sell it.

Found a shortblock with new pistons .30 over and a bunch of gaskets, iron heads which was "rebuilt". threw them on the truck and paid the seller.

here it is being unloaded on my driveway, I am taking a closer look at what I have purchased:

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

Thanks Saetun!

I see you are using most or the same parts that I have in stock the only difference are brands, I got an Eddy 600cfm, a Summit Cams.

What did you use to run the Throttle linkage to the 4 barrell, I am planning to get some Lokar Kits from summit. LOK-KD 2904HT(Kickdown Kits & LOK-SRK-4000 (Throttle Cable Bracket)

How is your car running?
Do I need anything else? Like the Throttle Cables? LOK-DP-1000HT?

Holley actually has a bracket that I picked up & used the stock 4bbl kickdown bracket & linkage used an aftermarket throttle return spring setup.

The runs great. Completely different experience over stock. I still have a little performance locked up in the tuning, but until it's back in my hands there it will stay. Lots of theorycraft going on around here for 318 builds good way to spend some time.

Hawai'i,

I see smog ports on your new heads, just under the exhaust ports. Check the casting numbers if they are 4323302 those are a nice little score. Dont forget to tap & seal those holes before installing exhaust. 1/4-20 tap and socket set screws should work perfect.

You said you have a eddie 600 cfm correct? I have one of those on my 360 and I am not sure about 318's but it feels like my 360 is wanting more. I did go with the Lokar linkage though. I prob. cant answer all your questions because my car is 4 hours away so I cant just look at it lol i am def. fallowing this thread though. My 73 is in need of some body work and other stuff.

Good Catch Saetun! Thank you so much. Someone told me about those heads but I have yet to check the castings on them.

Hey Doogie,

I am not sure what else you have backing up the 600cfm on your 360 but you can play with the jettings on the carb to gain more power. Personally I would probably get a 700-750cfm on a 360. (Can get it to give me more gas when the need arises =)

Right now it just has a Mp cam, eddie torke intake that is being replaced by an Airgap, headers, MP lifters and J heads. I am hoping to get some head work done, flat top pistons, holley 750 hp, and ignition by the end of next summer so i will prob need the bigger carb. I am still split on turning it into a 408 but thats not out of the picture.

so.... I dropped off the short block early this week to a local speed shop, Dave's Speed and Machine here in Burbank, CA. I brought it there to have it inspected, cleaned, decked and whatnot. Today, Dave called me and gave me some bad news. It seems that the bore was more than .60 over, and they filled it with the .30 pistons. BUMMER!

The deal did not go to waste thou, I have .30 pistons and rings that I can reuse and the crank seems good to go. So right now I am in the hunt for a good 318 block, Standard Bore please!!!

Been a while now since I have updated this build, my bad. It's been hectic in the office and been working late and really long hours regardless my engine is almost done. I have been steady building it in spite of all the disctraction called work. Just a little more things needed and it is ready. Here is a couple of teaser pics. =)

IMG_20130226_191714_zpsc5897c84.jpg

IMG_20130219_144654_zps5c40d4ae.jpg

more to come, I also bought a carpet and some side panels from CI. Woohoo!!! Just need to install them.

Aweet little 73 you have there.
Is that JF1 paint code? Looks like it is. If it is it is the first swinger I have ever seen in that color. My 73 Duster 340 car is also JF1

-
Back