1973 Dart Swinger

-

RandyLC

Reaction score
MEMBER POLL
1973 Dodge Dart Swinger
All original 225 CI 6 Automatic with 27,000 miles, runs like new. Should I keep her all original or go V8 & new rear end (POSI)? See pics in photo gallery. What is your opinion?
Thanks

I would leave it 100% stock. That's a beautiful survivor. "They're only original once." At the rate everyone is sticking V8's in /6 cars, pretty soon, /6 cars will be rare, and you'll have one of the nicest. Enjoy the fuel economy in a nice cruiser. With the bonus that you get to enjoy it NOW without any more work.

Get a second project car to put a V8 drivetrain into.

I agree with 72Dodge. They are only original once. If you want a V8 either sell it or buy another to do the swap with.

Keep it stock. And please... only use the term "posi" when you're talking about GM. Mopar is Sure-Grip. :)

Keep it as delivered from the factory/as original as possible...much cooler that way and nice find!

IMHO, the first order of business would be to keep meticulous records of the car. Start with looking for the build sheet (likely under the back seat, but may be pretty much anywhere depending on where the car came from). I would suspect it is still intact with how nice that car is. I would start a three ring binder with all the additional info about the car (try to contact previous owner(s), decode fender tag options, etc). You would be surprised how much info you can find out about your car from other members, the internet and the previous owner(s).

My anal retentive ways dictates that if I had a low mileage car such as this, I would buy a small notebook and document every tune-up, tank of gas, mileage and where I went with it to continue to trace the history of the car from the time I owned it forward.

Some people would say leave the engine bay alone, others would argue for you to detail it. Not sure which way people other members would regard that.

Like was echo'd by another member previously, you can find many solid 73 rust-free builders out there for a "fun" car, leave this one be. If you cant resist the urge to tinker, make sure the car is mechanically sound and clean up the engine bay. That car will run forever if maintained properly.

I know that I am curious about the story behind the car already.

I would clean the engine bay thoroughly by hand, but not do anything else.

The very very first thing I'd do is put a metal fuel filter on there, get rid of the plastic one!

But doesnt the Sure Grip give the rearend positive traction?Thus it would be a posi.

Yeah, but "Posi" is GM's word for it, "Sure-Grip" is Chrysler's. It's sort of like when someone drives a Duster and someone says "nice Nova" LOL :)

Yeah, but "Posi" is GM's word for it, "Sure-Grip" is Chrysler's. It's sort of like when someone drives a Duster and someone says "nice Nova" LOL :)

...and the way people used to call my 72 Satellite Sebring, a Torino or a Charger (at least Charger was a kissing cousin...) but you grudgingly have to admit, GM's Positraction or Posi has become the same as Kleenix or Jell-O, a brand name that has become the universal term for all products of that type.

...and the way people used to call my 72 Satellite Sebring, a Torino or a Charger (at least Charger was a kissing cousin...) but you grudgingly have to admit, GM's Positraction or Posi has become the same as Kleenix or Jell-O, a brand name that has become the universal term for all products of that type.

You're right, Chevy guys call everything a Posi. But the rest of us who know better don't have to, now do we?! :burnout:

Thanks for reminding me to change that plastic filter. that has been taken care of.

Just checking out the Pictures....That sure is a cream puff. I think you could win some shows with it.

Normally im one of those that would say 'its only a /6 car do what you want with it' lol.. after all my Dart started its life as a /6 car.. but then again, mine was hammered, wrecked and had more rust issues than I would care to remember.. in cases such as mine, I say do what you want, but I have to agree with the others here... that Dart is a true survivor.. I wouldnt change anything.. Leave the 'ol girl just the way she is

-
Back