1973 Dodge Dart Sport 340 cranks but will not start

-

missmach1

Reaction score
Our Dart has no fire at the coil. No power at distributor connection cranking off or on. There is power at the positive coil terminal. There is power at the ballast. The ballast, ignition module, coil have all been replaced. The electronic distributor has been removed and replaced with a Pertronix distributor wired directly to the coil. All wiring has been testing for continuity, there is no apparent problem, the car will not start it has no fire. It will not start in crank or on position. The car started and ran, started at least 10 times and ran for about an hour (for 20 minutes while breaking in the cam at 2,000 RPM.) The car was turned off and the temporary Holley carb. was replaced with the original thermo quad which is pumping fuel. The car never started again. Please help anyone. Thank you so much.

Have you checked the wiring at the bulkhead connector?It definitly sounds like a wiring problem.

I had the exact same issue when i installed the pertronix distributor....but mine never fired at all. I switched to a stock distributor because i was tired of **ckin' with it, and it fired right up. hopefully i can figure it out next season as it was an expensive pce. I started a thread about this and maybe the ideas will help. Check out.. Coil Voltage!!! WTF!
Hope these ideas help you. Also, one thing i did not try, was the air gap between the ignitor and the distributor under the cap...maybe it needs to be adjusted.

SG

It sounds like when you switched carbs YOU,VE KNOCKED A WIRE OFF OF SOMETHING.RE-CHECK ALL THE CONNECTIONS.

Wow! I am amazed at how many a-bodies have the same problems with motors having ran and then not starting out of the blue. Seems to me like a defect common among these older cars with old wiring. Anyone know of replacement wiring harnesses for these a-bodies? I sure wouldn't mind one!

Wow! I am amazed at how many a-bodies have the same problems with motors having ran and then not starting out of the blue. Seems to me like a defect common among these older cars with old wiring. Anyone know of replacement wiring harnesses for these a-bodies? I sure wouldn't mind one!

Amend that to all older cars. I have even had wiring issues with my newer cars (96-01), but the internet is great for finding help. First, try a search as this "no spark" question is answered here several times per week.

Re new wiring, yes there are kits, but maybe $200+. Several posts running on that right now. I totally re-wired my Dart engine bay using a relay box from a 91-94 Jeep and am currently doing the same for my Valiant. I think better than the after-market harnesses since gives me relays and allows upgrades for ignition and EFI.

just my two cents every time I see this it ends up being the ignition 2 wire I added a universal ignition to mine and ran new wires quick easy fix ya I have two keys but try to steal my car now lol idk what it is with mopar but that 2 ignition wire seems to go out a lot for one reason or another

-
Back