1973 Dodge Dart Swinger Project

-

Swinger803

1973 Dart Swinger 225
Reaction score
So, here we go!

Im still fairly new to the forum...and to Mopar! Back in July I picked up a 73 Swinger 225 /6. Growing up around classic iron has always stayed with me..so my wife and I finally bit the bullet and found our first project. We found her in Blair VA on July 15th. The same day we went to pick her up! The car is still in its original glory! Tomorrow the motor will turn 71000.

We've been picking up little stuff here and there, but haven't gotten down to anything serious yet.

There are a few minor rust issues that will be dealt with by winter. So for now we'll be starting to tear into the motor to see what we've got....good, bad, and ugly.

I looks forward to keeping track of the project here on FABO. I'll be posting pics to document the entire process.

Attachments

• DonnaFABO1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 932
  • DonnaFABO2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 967
  • DonnaFABO3.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 739
  • DonnaFABO4.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 783
  • DonnaFABO5.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 3,975
  • DonnaFABO6.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 745
Nothing wrong with that car unless lots under side. If its just what I see on back quarter panels your in good shape. Slant sixs can be had for cheap on craigslist and in nice condition. You could be rolling in no time if you don't want to do total resto but you got a good start whatever you want to do.

Thanks! There isn't much wrong, you're correct. The rear quarters have rusted through at the bottom, and the trunk has rusted completely through at the spare well.

I will be posting some pics later on of the passenger side of the car. The passenger quarter is dented all to hell.

I'll be working on the motor while the body work is being completed. We plan to fully restore the car...however she'll get treated to some beefier wheels/tires very soon I'm sure.

Decoded Fender Tag:

LH23:
Dodge Dart,Demon
High
2 Door Hardtop
C3B: 225 105HP(net) 1-1BBL 6 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
306827: Sequence number
E24: 225 cid 1 barrel 6 Cylinder 145hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
GF3: Light Green Poly Exterior Color
E2F6: Trim - Unknown, Vinyl Bench Seat, Green
000: Full Door Panels
118: Build Date: January 18
174184: Order number
V1F: Full Vinyl Top, Green
U: USA Specifications
C15: 70 only Deluxe Seat Belts
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
L25: Trunk Lamp
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black

Nice looking 73. I dont understand tear into the motor if it runs good.

I just want to make sure everything is in great condition..while the car is at the body shop I'll be fully restoring the motor. She runs OK now..but could be much, much better.

I just want to make sure everything is in great condition..while the car is at the body shop I'll be fully restoring the motor. She runs OK now..but could be much, much better.

But we already know everything is in 71000 miles condition.
Those motors are just about bullet proof. Its going run, even in desperate need of tune up. Someday the number 5 connecting rod will come out the side of the block but until then... Using a factory service manual you could just fine tune it and hope you are in the driveway when it does start knocking. Thats just my .02 Happy moparing

Thanks for the input Redfish..I sincerely appreciate it. This will most definitely be a learning process for me..I have never owned anything close to a slant. So I'm learning day by day what its truly capable of.

One of my next steps is learning the ins and outs of the suspension. As she sits right now the car is in desperate need of some suspension work.

First Great looking 73 dart glad to see more 73-74 swingers second if the slant is running thats all you need they are BULLETPROOF if your going to pull the motor make sure a 318 340 or 360 goes back into its place I drove a 73 swinger around for one week with a slant six and was so happy I was building a 360 for it seeing as the car is a dog with a slant in it

By the way were did u get the dodge front plate and or do u wana sell yours?

Lol just put the triad plate on this week. Can't remember where I ordered it from for the life of me..I'll have to look it up for ya mopardrt..I'll get back to ya on that. I do remember it was 12 bucks!

First Great looking 73 dart glad to see more 73-74 swingers second if the slant is running thats all you need they are BULLETPROOF if your going to pull the motor make sure a 318 340 or 360 goes back into its place I drove a 73 swinger around for one week with a slant six and was so happy I was building a 360 for it seeing as the car is a dog with a slant in it

By the way were did u get the dodge front plate and or do u wana sell yours?

Picked it from Classic Industries Mopardrt, however its not on sale anymore...now its $18.99

I wanted to stop in quickly to thank everyone for the comments and advice before I head off to the daily grind. I couldn't ask for a warmer welcome.

So far the forum has been an amazing wealth of knowledge.

I won't be off again until Sunday, I spent this morning at the junkyard...so I won't get to upload any more pics until Sunday morning.

Whitey I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you in the coming months, so thanks for the offer (BTW the car is beautiful!!!!!)

Nice clean car.
If it were mine I would give the slant a good tune up, service the trans and rear, and leave it at that.
With only 71K that motor has at least another 100K left in it.
Rebuild the suspension drive it around some then put it in the body shop over the winter.
Come spring time you have a nice cruiser to have fun with.

Sweet find :D .

The Slant Six is the best 6 cylinder engine ever built , period . Certainly , by '73 they were doggie ( all that smog junk , compounded by an A.I.R. Pump in Ca. ).

These motors had mechanical tappets until c.1980 , and thusly require valve adjustments ( and don't forget ZDDP additives in the oil ! ).
Also , electronic ignition was standard fare by '73 .

Personally , I wouldn't crack that motor open . But , since you're going to have it out , you may as well :

- replace every freeze plug , brass only ;
- new oil pan gasket
- clean oil pan since it'll be removed ; check oil pump screen / pickup

I'd leave it as found in regard to cosmetics ( in other words , don't repaint it ) .

Keep us posted on your progress :happy1:

Thanks to a late night at work the tune-up got postponed to today. I shouldn't complain though....if I didn't have a job I wouldn't have a new toy to play with on the weekends ;-) If I have the time this afternoon I'll get the pics posted of the passenger side of the car, as well as some interior pics.

Who do you guys like for upholstery companys? Will be doing carpet, kick panels, sail panels and the front bench somewhere around early spring.

We dodged the Irene bullet here in SC, how are you guys fairing north??

Some more pics I took of the car this morning. I NEED to learn to do my own bodywork

Attachments

• DonnaFABO7.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 550
  • DonnaFABO8.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 549
  • DonnaFABO9.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 555
  • DonnaFABO10.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 545
  • DonnaFABO11.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 582
  • DonnaFABO12.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 553
  • DonnaFABO13.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 599
I love paychecks that aren't already accounted for by bills! So ya know what that means....parts!!! I'll be ordering some shocks for the car today.

What are you guys using? Likes? Hates?

So its been many moons since I last updated this thread:banghead:

Winter has come and gone...and I haven't really had much time for the Swinger I bought back in July of last year. I have had some time to do quite a few small things...so here's a running list:

Replaced ballast resistor, ECM, and Voltage regulator.

The car received a tune up, so she got plugs, wires, cap, rotor and air filter. Also replaced the ignition coil. Radiator flush and fill. I'll be replacing that nasty pink heater hose this Thursday...I don't know why, but I hate pink heater hose!

I've done lots of detail cleaning and painting in the engine bay....38 years of crud is gone....and I probably get better mileage for it...lol.

Also gave her a valve adjustment thanks to plenty of tips from FABO! This little slant has come a long way with just a minor bit of work so far...and I love it.

I haven't gotten a chance financially to take the car in for the body work..and Im still debating buying the tools and learning myself.

I know how much we all love pictures, so I'll have lots of new ones up between thursday and friday.

I'll probably go ahead and do the fuel pump when I do the heater hose Thursday...I love it when I have some free time to play with the car.

I've been acquiring parts here and there....an extra holley 1920..intake and exhaust manifolds which have been resurfaced and are ready for paint. Starters (mini and regular)..

Thats about it for now considering I'm at work!

I really wanna wake her up this spring...considering the super six swap..with some headers and larger exhaust...maybe 318 valves...it just depends on how much cash I've got to play with in the coming months.

Thanks again for everyone that's giving me advice and tips, for any rookies out there, FABO is oozing information and 99% of the members here are more than willing to help you out if you need it!:thumblef:

So it was great to have the day off today. Pollen season here in SC is in full swing...so everything is covered in a nasty yellow film. It sucks to not have a garage to keep the Dart in.

After I finished up some much needed yardwork I had a chance to wash and detail the car a bit. I'll have pictures posted up soon....because the car won't be clean for long!

This morning my high pressure power steering hose decided to spring a leak...all over EVERYTHING:banghead:

...needless to say, parts are on the way..

Thanks to some much needed rain I didn't get to take any new pictures. I'm not complaining much because it washed all the pollen away. I did replace that heater hose yesterday though. Pics will be up Sunday

-
Back