1973 Duster ignition problem

-

sroschmann

Reaction score
Can anyone help: Just swapped out the original 318 to a 360. Everything works fine except the ignition. The coil continues to run hot and over a short period of time the system will shut down. I have replaced the ignition box (orange). The ballast resistor and the coil. This means that I have utilized the new wires that came with the new inginition box. Shop says to replace wiring harness. While I am not averse to that they have still not defined that as the problem. New coil was put in prior to new wires so is it possible that the old wires could have shorted the new coil already? Also I do not see the braided ground wire that usually goes from the engine to the firewall. Is that something that could affect the ignition. This is the lats bug in the car and I cannot solve the overheating of the ignition components????????????

Start it, put a voltmeter on the coil + and see what voltage you have while it's running.
The shop has done that, the coil is seeing like 17+ volts. Cannot figure out the cause? They just replaced the voltage regulator and it is still seeing that volltage. I understand the wiring is old but I do not see how a short could create more voltage. This is really a tough one that no one seems to be able to troubleshoot.

Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like 2 separate problems to me.

1st - 17 volts is awfully high, something must be wrong in the charging circuit to get that much.

2nd - To get the full voltage to the coil, somehow the ballast resistor must be bypassed.

Does it have the 2 prong or the 4 prong ballast resistor?

I think the charging system is the problem. The voltage regulater must be chassis grounded asa well as the engine. Always disconnect the battery and chassis mount the regulator be pulling it in.
If the coil is getting 17 volts in run the other side of the ballast resistor might be getting 25 volts.

-
Back