1973 Duster: Replacing fuel tank and need some parts

-

Trevor B

Reaction score
After about 2 months of not having time for my baby, we finally dropped the fuel tank (*) and found it was full of rust chips and orange-brown gas.

I went on Rock Auto and ordered a new tank and fuel sender (Spectra). But where can I get the various O rings/gaskets I need?

1) gasket for the sender (keeping the lock ring for sure)
2) gasket for end of filler neck (at gas cap end)
3) big rubber gasket for filler neck to gas tank?

(*) We used a Harbor Freight motorcycle jack for this and it made it really easy to lower the tank smoothly and evenly.

I think some people on here are selling some filler neck and sending unit gaskets. Take a look in the mechanical parts for sale section

It appears that I don't know how to search out things on the For Sale page. All I could find was someone selling lock rings for the sending unit...

Update us on whether that sending unit works properly. Been several people including myself that had that one that didn't work right at all. Hope yours does.

PS every one of my new tanks has included a new lock ring and gasket. So did the sending unit, and both lock rings were so poorly made I ended up using the 40yo original.

Definitely will let you know if the sender works right and really hoping it comes with a gasket (but it is NOT mentioned in the item description); I'm certainly holding onto the original lock ring.

I can probably fashion the one by the fuel cap but...

Does anyone know where I can get the big rubber grommet between the filler neck and fuel tank?

Excellent - thanks for the tip. Classic Industries has the grommet I need!

Glad I could help.
Right before you install it drop in a pan of boiling water to soften the rubber.
This will expand the rubber, when it hit the cold steel it will contract and seal better.

I heard the spectre sending unit doesnt read properly on the fuel level gauge. I'm gonna try the dorman sending unit. I'll let everyone know how it works out

UPDATE:
Put in the new Spectra fuel tank and sending unit. Lock ring(s) one with the tank and one extra I bought by mistake are both pieces of junk so I re-used the original. It appears that the Spectra tank sender hole/seat is just a bit bigger that the original, which doesn't help.

Now for the sender: first of all it has plastic parts on the filter element, which I don't really like. But it went in okay and doesn't leak. However, it does NOT read out correctly with regard to the actual fuel level. I pit in about 6 gallons and the needle showed right on "Empty," but not below, which is where it was with my old sender that wasn't working at all. I filled up the tank all the way and the needle showed 3/4 full.

I wonder if it is just a matter of pulling out the sender and bending the rod on the float?!?

Sireland67 - thank you much for the hot water tip! It was the only thing that got the filler neck through the new grommet into the tank!

-
Back