1973+ Duster Taillight Question

-

Red_Duster

Reaction score
About to get the ol’ Duster back from paint and start reassembling. My question is: I know something goes between the tail light bezel and and body. One light has a single fiber washer thingy on one stud, the rest are all missing. What are you guys using? I’m assuming we don’t want it to hold moisture and I have no idea what it’s actually made out of.

Are you talking about the thick foam gasket?

Oh! As the tail light bezel would otherwise contact the body and paint without it. Gotcha!

You put the butyl on the outside between the bezel and the body or on the inside to seal the housing?

I had an all original 73 Dart Sport, and it had the original bezel gaskets which were made of white foam which is just like polyethylene closed cell foam sheet material that you find being used for packaging material. You can call Detroit Muscle Technologies to see if they carry them precut for the application. Otherwise you can make your own, as that material is readily available.

Last edited:
I did cut new washers from some closed cell craft foam. But didn't see that sealing well, so added the butyl.

I had an all original 73 Dart Sport, and it had the original bezel gaskets which were made of white foam which is just like polyethylene closed cell foam sheet material that you find being used for packaging material. You can call Detroit Muscle Technologies to see if they carry them precut for the application. Otherwise you can make your own as that material is readily available.

Exactly what I needed. Thank you sir!

You put the butyl on the outside between the bezel and the body or on the inside to seal the housing?
I think I mainly put it around the studs to fill the holes from outside when I pushed the bezel through. I got the new gaskets (thick black around the entire opening) from DMT.

-
Back