1973 Duster unladden weight?

-

Craig NY

Reaction score
Well, if all goes well ill be at DMV tomorrow, and im getting my paperwork in order, here in NY you need to list the UNLADEN weight, i bought the car in Jersey, which dosent list the weight on the title. The tag on the inside of the door is the gross weight right, its like 4500 lbs, does anyone know the unladen weight of a 73 Duster? Im sure i could put whatever, but id like to be sure and have it as close as possible so i dont have any problems, ive waited too long!

Hotwheelsjr said:
African or European?

European, African Dusters are non migratory.

Ive been waiting to see if some one would make the joke. I thought I was going to have to do it. ! :toothy7:

Mine was 3310 and that was with glass hood and front fenders.

Well i went to DMV today and as expected they gave me a hard time cause the weight i put was wrong. I went with like 3221 for an oddball # and since there was no weight on the title they had to looki it up and they listed it at like a little over 2800. Also 73 was the first year for titles, so they had a problem looking up the VIN in the computer, and the guy was telling me that i had to "trace" the Vin off the plate on the dash using a pencil to rub it on a piece of paper! I hadent hearsd anything like it, he said that there was a wrong # or one missing, but the title stated it clearly, and i checked it with the title when i bought the car!! This guy was ready to send me away after i waited an HOUR AND A HALF! Thankfully he asked a supervisor if he could do it and thank god she said yes, man what a hassle, but im legal now, and i went from there to pick up my Welds and sticky Mickys, 275 60R 15, now mounted and balanced, they look JUICY. In a day or two itll be off to the shop to install them and other goodies!!!!

im thinkin more like 3300# also.My 72 dart came in at 3080# ,which was the weight the barge gave me when weighed before shipping,fluids and all.....

Hey, I wouldn't worry much. You've got it titled, and drivable! If you still want to know later, then you can drive it by a grain elevator, race track with scales, toll road or main Highway with truck scales, ect. to get "your" exact weight. I'd just enjoy it for awhile and have fun with warm weather coming up.

Hey Craig, I see your trying to trade off the Duster, on racingjunk.com Item#881229 What's going on with that? What's worse, is that you want a Mousetang. Is the Duster too slow, or are you just trading down? If I had the cash, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Love that color!!! I'd put a black stripe up the sides W/340, and drive it till the wheels fell off. Shame your getting rid of it...

Craig NY said:
Well i went to DMV today and as expected they gave me a hard time cause the weight i put was wrong. I went with like 3221 for an oddball # and since there was no weight on the title they had to looki it up and they listed it at like a little over 2800. Also 73 was the first year for titles, so they had a problem looking up the VIN in the computer, and the guy was telling me that i had to "trace" the Vin off the plate on the dash using a pencil to rub it on a piece of paper! I hadent hearsd anything like it, he said that there was a wrong # or one missing, but the title stated it clearly, and i checked it with the title when i bought the car!! This guy was ready to send me away after i waited an HOUR AND A HALF! Thankfully he asked a supervisor if he could do it and thank god she said yes, man what a hassle, but im legal now, and i went from there to pick up my Welds and sticky Mickys, 275 60R 15, now mounted and balanced, they look JUICY. In a day or two itll be off to the shop to install them and other goodies!!!![/QUOTE I think the reason for VIN number problem is because everything is set up on 17 digits now. It seems some people don't remember we have older cars with less digits. My 73 Dart sport weighs 3090 LBs. 360/904 - 8 3/4, I did own a 1969 Dart that weighed 2850 LBs, 340/4-speed 8 3/4.

-
Back