1973 Duster- what's it worth....

-

69bronzeT5

My wife's car is faster.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Never thought I'd be doing this but it's looking more and more like I'm going to be selling my Duster. I've had it since 2009 and love the car to death but I've just got too many cars on the go and it's been neglected lately. I haven't driven it since July 2011. I'm currently looking at buying a SRT-8 Challenger so to do so, I'm going to have to clear out some cars. I'm also going to be selling my black 1990 5.0 Mustang and my 2005 Magnum R/T. I have values for those two already set in mind but I have no clue what to ask for the Duster when it comes time to sell. I'm going to be cutting my collection down to my Charger, my Coronet and the SRT-8 Challenger. Those three will be the keepers. As much as I'd love to keep the Duster, as I said I just don't have the time or money to do what I want with it right now and it still bugs me putting money into it when my Charger is still my #1 priority. If I do sell off the 3 cars and get the Challenger then I can focus back on getting my Charger done. I'm hoping you guys can give me a better value of what it's worth.

1973 Plymouth Duster
318-4bbl (original 2bbl)- motor got new seals, gaskets and frost plugs recently)
904 Torqueflite automatic- column shift- got all new seals recently)
Number's matching motor and trans (I have verified both)
Holley 570CFM 4 bbl carb w/ vaccum secondaries & electric choke
Edelbrock Performer 4 bbl intake
Hooker Competition Headers
Flowmaster exhaust
Cloyes Double Roller Timing Chain & Gears (carb, intake and chain all have less than 500 km's on them)
BF Goodrich Radial T/As (225/60/15 on front & 255/60/15 on back)- less than 500 km's on them
Refinished factory 15x7 Rallye wheels
All original interior, glass, body panels, floor pans, trim etc
I bought it off the original owner's grandson
It has the fender tag & two complete broadcast/build sheets
I have TONS of extra and original parts for the car- the original bumper, grille (I changed both out for nicer pieces), bumperettes, hubcaps, exhaust manifolds, air cleaner, valve covers, 2bbl intake and carb etc. I have a spare hood and front valance as well. Spare antenna, marker lamp bezels...
I have new 340 exhaust tips for it not installed

The bad:
-It needs a paint job. The owner's grandson got it painted but it wasn't a good job. The paint on the hood, roof and trunklid has cracking in the clear coat and when we did the body work, we used spray paint that was similar to the colour of the car- so it definitley needs paint
-There is a skimmed layer of filler on the very bottom of the quarters where there was a few pinholes- I have pictures of the pinholes before
-There is filler on the quarter/roof seam- it used to have a vinyl top and someone took it off and repaired it poorly. When I got the car, my grandpa fixed it and it looks good
-There were a few pinholes on the front floor pans so it's got some fiberglass on them
-Front seat needs recovered- I have a giant piece of NOS material you can use to fix it- Back seat is MINT!
-No carpet or headliner (I have a mint original headliner out of a wrecked Duster in the house)
-Needs the proper 4bbl kick down cable and linkage

It's a complete running and driving car. I live in Vancouver B.C and I've driven it down to Seattle and back for car shows. Great basis for a restoration or you can drive it as is, I have. It's one of the most solid Duster's I've seen. Besides the odd dings and repaired minor rust pinholes, it's absolutley solid. All the frame rails etc are MINT.

0093_zpsd163a6bf.jpg

0103_zpscdb7866c.jpg

0113_zps19604b16.jpg

aug13-201010_zps01e4bdfd.jpg

DSC_1708_zps4350dc18.jpg

DSC_1700_zps50f0ee4d.jpg

DSC_0313_zpsac7e40a5.jpg

aug13-20102_zps2c41b1dd.jpg

aug13-201013_zps49d4ca97.jpg

aug13-201012_zpsc6d1ed4d.jpg

DSC_1680_zps59d2495a.jpg

0252_zpscdeef6d6.jpg

0242_zps7de37c30.jpg

Some videos:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qauimxd50MY&list=UUGPtd-cJ3_HWhiC5Pn4zK_Q&index=9"]1973 Plymouth Duster walk around - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLEAONQlJcc&list=UUGPtd-cJ3_HWhiC5Pn4zK_Q&index=18"]1973 Plymouth Duster night time walk around - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWJ2FVGzfIQ&list=UUGPtd-cJ3_HWhiC5Pn4zK_Q&index=27"]My 1973 Plymouth Duster - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLxPuCwfGss&list=UUGPtd-cJ3_HWhiC5Pn4zK_Q&index=34"]1973 Plymouth Duster ridealong - YouTube[/ame]

It would be a good idea to give a ballpark figure $$ on what your looking to get for the car,before the comments start.These guys are a tuff crowd,when asking What it,s worth?Just sayin.

What does it look like under the car and in the trunk? If it had a bunch of cosmetics it would sell easier.
It is hard to grade a car that you cannot see in person but I would give this a price range of 4800-5700. People will try to talk you down due to the interior, but out side of that everything looks clean. I would love to own this car but I cannot afford it.

What does it look like under the car and in the trunk? If it had a bunch of cosmetics it would sell easier.
It is hard to grade a car that you cannot see in person but I would give this a price range of 4800-5700. People will try to talk you down due to the interior, but out side of that everything looks clean. I would love to own this car but I cannot afford it.

Trunk and underside of car are mint. Very clean :)

with the pin holes fixed(need to be redone) bondo in quarters(need to be redone)...no carpet or headliner...needs pant..that car run thousands...i have just been there...needs interior...not cheap...i need a another project..i would go 2k and discuss how to get it here and cost on shipping...by the time your done...your prob looking at 15k into the car and it still wont be done...been there done that but cost me more...

-
Back