1973 Scamp 1/4 window outer felt replacement

-

moparmandan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The front was easy. Pop out the bottom door stop, let the window down, out with the screws.
Now, how do you remove the rear? Looks like it clips in some how. Couldn't find anything in the FBSM or after searching on here. Thanks FABO!

Man it does clip in, I would think you access the clips from inside behind the side panels? Going from y=the outside may scratch paint unless someone knows that trick. There is always a trick. I removed mine years ago when I tore the car down for paint I just don't recall how I took them off, I may have went from outside but I wasnt concerned about the paint. I do think you use a pick or vert small screwdriver etc.

Man it does clip in, I would think you access the clips from inside behind the side panels? Going from y=the outside may scratch paint unless someone knows that trick. There is always a trick. I removed mine years ago when I tore the car down for paint I just don't recall how I took them off, I may have went from outside but I wasnt concerned about the paint. I do think you use a pick or vert small screwdriver etc.
Well, same here. Car is going to paint anyway, so no biggie right now. Car is gutted. (Edit: Except glass. Dont wanna go there.) Installation of new felts will need to be careful. Tried a little gentle pulling and prying, maybe I need to be a little more aggressive?

Last edited:
Well, same here. Car is going to paint anyway, so no biggie right now. Car is gutted. Installation of new felts will need to be careful. Tried a little gentle pulling and prying, maybe I need to be a little more aggressive?
man they are weird like windshield chrome retainers, you might wnt to try a 90 degree angle pick, get behind one and lightly twist and it should pop loose. Do you have the new ones to see what the clips look like? if you can see how they work it helps to reverse engineer it apart.

man they are weird like windshield chrome retainers, you might wnt to try a 90 degree angle pick, get behind one and lightly twist and it should pop loose. Do you have the new ones to see what the clips look like? if you can see how they work it helps to reverse engineer it apart.
Don't have the new ones, yet. On the way. That would be helpful. Looks to me like they would slide up........
Thanks for the help!

Don't have the new ones, yet. On the way. That would be helpful. Looks to me like they would slide up........
Thanks for the help!
I have repops and I am sure I haven't installed the last one the one for the right rear window. I will see if I can take a few photos and upload them. It wont be till later tonight .

I have repops and I am sure I haven't installed the last one the one for the right rear window. I will see if I can take a few photos and upload them. It wont be till later tonight .
That would awesome! Thanks a lot man!

Seems to be a void of info on this. Like I said, nothing I could find in the FBSM, and a search here and on the interweb didn't turn up much. I'll take a bunch of pics once I get it figured out.

Man I didn't get to the pics last night, but I am off work tomorrow (Friday) I can get to it tonight or Friday. I have a repop outer rubber off the car and the inner velvet from the upper window trim from the back window .if you see how they are attached you can figure out how to release them. Th eonly thing Im thinking is, the 73s have the plastic interior trim while my 70 has that metal panel at the top of the interior door panels etc. I would think the window wiper rubber attaches the same though.

Man I didn't get to the pics last night, but I am off work tomorrow (Friday) I can get to it tonight or Friday. I have a repop outer rubber off the car and the inner velvet from the upper window trim from the back window .if you see how they are attached you can figure out how to release them. Th eonly thing Im thinking is, the 73s have the plastic interior trim while my 70 has that metal panel at the top of the interior door panels etc. I would think the window wiper rubber attaches the same though.
Exactly. The inners are different but the outers remain the same. I would imagine..............

Some quick pics I shot tonight...you hopefully can see it is a spring type clip on the upper tight rear trim piece, also I have shown an outer rubber window molding not yet on the car. I have used a pick or small screwdriver, but maybe there is a tool for it that a retired body guy might know about. Disregard engine block that pic..well, how did that get in there ...:)

DSCN1223.JPG

DSCN1236.JPG

DSCN1237.JPG

DSCN1238.JPG

DSCN1239.JPG

DSCN1241.JPG

DSCN1242.JPG

DSCN1243.JPG

Some quick pics I shot tonight...you hopefully can see it is a spring type clip on the upper tight rear trim piece, also I have shown an outer rubber window molding not yet on the car. I have used a pick or small screwdriver, but maybe there is a tool for it that a retired body guy might know about. Disregard engine block that pic..well, how did that get in there ...:)

View attachment 1715740365

View attachment 1715740366

View attachment 1715740367

View attachment 1715740368

View attachment 1715740369

View attachment 1715740370

View attachment 1715740371

View attachment 1715740372
Awesome! Thanks a lot! So it looks like the clips on the window wiper felts slip down into a slot. That is what I was thinking. Just need to get a little more aggressive pulling and working them up and out.
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out, man. Guess not a lot of people have swapped these things out.

Yeah like said I don't exactly remember how I did it getting mine off. I seem to remember they ended up bent so no reusing them. A small screwdriver or a 90 degree angle pick, and you spread the clip while gently pulling up should release them. Yes the new ones clip into slots on the body panel.Hope this helps.

Yeah like said I don't exactly remember how I did it getting mine off. I seem to remember they ended up bent so no reusing them. A small screwdriver or a 90 degree angle pick, and you spread the clip while gently pulling up should release them. Yes the new ones clip into slots on the body panel.Hope this helps.
Absolutely!

-
Back