1974 Brain Box saves the day.

-
LOL yes they are! Wonder how that will hold up in the open without moisture protection?
sum-851021_qi_xl.jpg

These are hermetically sealed, getting a distilled water rinse after the solder process, and possibly every time you run it in the rain!

I would be leery of it. Better than potted inside though that will retain the heat. Thats why they used the TO3 design on them.

p-qmj15023_1400603287.png

I was thinking of trying this box....since who ever makes it put it on the outside.

I think it would work just fine. Make sure you have enough clearance so the leads don’t short to the heat sink. Seal up the leads with some high temp red rtv. Should be good to go.

I do like it better. Needs some sort of sealant that will let the heat out IMO

I kind of wonder if that is made by a guy asking me a crap load of questions on them one day. Good for him.

I do like it better. Needs some sort of sealant that will let the heat out IMO

Yeah, good point, the rtv doesn’t need to be applied too heavily, just enough to seal the leads.

However, since it is on a heat sink (assuming using good thermal grease from a computer use) all the heat transfer will occur through the heat sink and not the body of the part, so covering it may not matter.

I would seriously worry about moisture inside of the chip itself. I workrd on aircraft for years and temp changes do weird things especially brining moisture inside of components. Dont get me wrong great some one is working on this.

Kind of went Dr Frankenstein yesterday testing all the different ecu's I have with different value ballast resistors. Now I have to make a spreadsheet for the results. Kind of interesting to do to me. Definately affects the heat generated and where they fail RPM wise.
dsc01025-jpg.jpg
dsc01026-jpg.jpg
dsc01029-jpg.jpg
dsc01030-jpg.jpg
dsc01024-jpg.jpg

Kind of went Dr Frankenstein yesterday testing all the different ecu's I have with different value ballast resistors. Now I have to make a spreadsheet for the results. Kind of interesting to do to me. Definately affects the heat generated and where they fail RPM wise.

Awesome stuff...thanks for sharing.

View attachment 1715904906 View attachment 1715904907 View attachment 1715904908 View attachment 1715904909 View attachment 1715904910

Excellent - Awesome setup !

I see in that top photo your running a factory Chrysler ECU #3874020 5 Pin

Is that a Standard UC12 Coil - 1.5 OHM ?

That’s why I was asking about different combinations and RPMs , as I have tested so many of these on my car with different results , and RPM breakdown from 4500 RPMs - 5500 RPMs etc.

Coils are the biggest issue , especially reliability on the street - I stay away from the Blaster 2 coils or anything with a lower resistance designed for CDI Ignition type systems

Accel - Pertronix - Edelbrock etc. all make so called Performance type oil filled canister coils with a Primary resistance of around 1.5 OHMs

Standard SMP has there UC12

Even those factory Chrysler ECUs seem to breakdown around 5000 - 5500 RPMs , but again that could be an result of these Chinese oil filled canister coils - Ballast Resistors vary from .5 to 1.5 OHM resistance that are available today

Like I mentioned earlier Mopar doesn’t make those .25 OHM resistors anymore along with there Mopar Performance ECUs or a made in the USA canister oil filled coil

Would like to see some of your results when you have a chance
Peace , thanx for your time

In a nutshel the lower the ohm ballast produces more heat and increases the performance. Hence will make the ecu fail usually. They really have to be matched for the proper performance. Most of the stock black MOPAR boxes are limited to about 5500.
ecu III.png

-
Back