1974 D100 frame off build up

-

FullmetalPanic

Restomod - The new Hotrod
Reaction score
Hey all, I just registered after seeing that all old Mopars are welcome here, just wanting to show my ongoing progress with my 74 D100. At this moment the chassis is repaired and ready for the prep work to get it coated. Everything Im doing is video logged and put on youtube. The more feedback I get from the places Im posting the better the build will end up! Im putting all my knowledge and wisdom from being a former FCA technician of 6 years and a mechanic for much longer into this project. It may be my one and only Mopar, but its my gateway Mopar. I really want a 70-74 Duster for my next project.

Welcome from Arizona! Thanks for sharing the video, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Thank you. What are your thoughts on using oven cleaner to remove old chassis paint? I was tipped off by my shop neighbor about it who does auto detailing.

Oven cleaner works ok in my experience but nothing comes close to working as well as aircraft paint stripper. You’re in Cali so you’ll likely have to go out of state to find it. Yes it’s worth it. Btw I’m jealous as I am in the market for that exact same truck. Following.

So the good aircraft remover still exists? Yea the stuff here in the golden shower state does nothing but make a mess. I can try the oven cleaner first before anything. I have a diesel burning pressure washer that should help! Other than the orange stuff, the rest is very thin and a quarter surface rust.

20240521_085841.jpg

20240520_165416.jpg

Looks like a rattle can job (and not a very good one), you might find that a few cans of brake clean will take it off.

IMO, the best way to remove paint from something like a chassis is sandblasting.

I thought about getting a sandblast attachment for the pressure washer, and I have a sandblast tank, the cheapo one from harbor freight but has no nozzle on it. I was going to try chemical stripping first, if no luck then I'll go with plan B for blasting. Definitely plan to make a video covering what I find. It's a discovery and informative build for sure.

Looks like a rattle can job (and not a very good one), you might find that a few cans of brake clean will take it off.
Definitely not rattle can, looks more like Wagner sprayer quality. The crap was absolutely everywhere, radiator hoses included when I first got it. And it's caked on thick! Starts to melt when I'm wire wheeling it. Brake clean hasn't worked, I've tried haha

Would it mar the metal? Never used a needle scaler but I see they are pretty affordable.
It didn't for me. I took all the undercoat off my Dart using one. It's filthy, noisy, exhausting work, but it is effective. You will need a big compressor to run one.

-
Back