-
8F4171AE-AA33-4740-A11D-1B0F6B10F3BA.jpeg
EFEAE914-E543-4B9F-8A74-AAE6718C25A6.jpeg
FAD39BE1-A79A-4B84-BB10-2545A890EA95.jpeg
FCBCCF13-EFD9-4421-B6BA-A2C7449BD384.jpeg
BD859425-49DB-4238-A545-A3A490889CDE.jpeg
9265E49B-FEFA-43DE-A22B-0B00C0EA1F0F.jpeg
977333AE-CD73-41C7-8BB8-48F9496B1F47.jpeg
Well, it’s about 98% finished! Got the stripe painted last night and was able to replace all of the door handle and lock clips so the door panels I repaired/rebuilt could go on. Installed the door cups and arm rests front and rear and it’s almost finished.
Need to still get an antenna and some wiper blades (have em’ can’t find em’!)
It’s off to the exhaust shop for a set of 2.5” dual exhaust and tips tomorrow morning.
I can’t wait to hear it out the back of the car!

A couple of cool shots from Desert Valley Auto salvage yard in Casa Grand AZ. Lots and lots of A Bodies!

This place is amazing, this is the small yard just south of our town. Their main facility is in Phoenix, I have not bam there yet.
Thought I’d find a driveshaft out there for sure but they wanted way too much in my opinion. $175... I could have a stout one built in Illinois for $265!
The cars were cool nonetheless. And as rust free as you could find anywhere!!!

I have been there a few times.
It is no surprise that many A body guys are cheap BUT I absolutely agree with you...The DVAP guys are REALLY proud of their stuff. They have some UNreasonable prices for stuff, even plane Jane 318 parts. I once stopped there in 2008, looking for a door mirror, a bumper and 2 taillight lenses for a 73 Dart Sport. They wanted almost $200! The bumper needed to be replated and the glass in the mirror was not that great.
Those clowns had a "reality" show several years ago..."Desert Car Kings". It was one of the worst hack and drama shows on TV.
Good luck with the car.

I have been there a few times.
It is no surprise that many A body guys are cheap BUT I absolutely agree with you...The DVAP guys are REALLY proud of their stuff. They have some UNreasonable prices for stuff, even plane Jane 318 parts. I once stopped there in 2008, looking for a door mirror, a bumper and 2 taillight lenses for a 73 Dart Sport. They wanted almost $200! The bumper needed to be replated and the glass in the mirror was not that great.
Those clowns had a "reality" show several years ago..."Desert Car Kings". It was one of the worst hack and drama shows on TV.
Good luck with the car.
I’ve seen that terrible show before.
Terrible.
Thanks!

8E16EFA9-AC6B-4587-9085-616F02947EF5.jpeg
It’s back from the exhaust shop and sounds amazing! The Magnaflow knockoffs have the perfect mellow tone I was wanting and the 2.5” with an H pipe just sounds and looks right!
The Challenger tips give it that E Body sound I’ve always really liked too.
(I’ll post a video as soon as I can figure out how to.)
I had an original set of tips off of a 1970 Challenger I restored years ago and have been waiting for something to use these on.
I thought they would look ok being the bumper is so squared off and the four square taillights kind of go with the quad tip theme.
Mighty Muffler in Phoenix did a beautiful job, his bends are just right, his welds are clean and he was priced right with my old Illinois home town shop. (Just a further drive! 1 hour + traffic=SUCKS with a car trailer!)
4DA51CE4-7687-4F1A-9C54-94C729F9C912.jpeg

I still am waiting on running the heater hoses until I get the AC lines figured out for routing purposes.
I’m hoping to use the original ram manifold and lines that come off the compressor and mate (reduce?) them to the original lines.
I’ve talked to a couple places that make hydraulic lines and they think they can make something work.
Anyone tackled this before?
Thanks

I did kind of the same thing on a Challenger several years ago. I had the local hydraulic hose place do the squeezing for me after I fitted and marked the lines and couplings. If you check some of the AC parts places, they may be able to supply the fittings at the compressor like the factory ones that came on the truck the motor came from. You can but all types of fittings and hoses to repair original stuff, so you can make it work for your application too. New hoses for 134 will benefit you, so it would be best to replace them all if you can.

I did kind of the same thing on a Challenger several years ago. I had the local hydraulic hose place do the squeezing for me after I fitted and marked the lines and couplings. If you check some of the AC parts places, they may be able to supply the fittings at the compressor like the factory ones that came on the truck the motor came from. You can but all types of fittings and hoses to repair original stuff, so you can make it work for your application too. New hoses for 134 will benefit you, so it would be best to replace them all if you can.
Great tip! That’s just what I was looking for!
Thanks!!

You're welcome. The reason I said to get all new hoses rated for 134A refrigerant is the old AC hoses for R12 will let the 134A seep thru very slowly. New hoses made for 134A are shielded with something to prevent that. You may need a bigger condenser for the 134A also. When I converted my old Challenger, I bought a complete underhood kit from Classic Air. The car was a factory AC car, so I rebuilt the heat/AC box with all new gaskets and stuff from Detroit Muscle. Jim's stuff is better than what Chrysler put in them to start with....lol.

You would be correct! Detroit Muscle is what I used to restore this box. I’ve had really good luck in the past using the old lines and a converter oil with new neoprene o rings through out.
Those were all factory lines and the old style compressor.
I had a great shop back in Illinois that would charge the old systems for me and they really worked well.
My 1970 FM3 Charger has had R134 in it since 1998 with no ill effects as yet, I sharpe it every other summer but it does work.
I did an old 62 Dart 440 wagon the same and the current owner says it’s still blowing cold.

This being a new style compressor I think I will follow what you are saying and replace the rubber hoses on this one.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

So I decided to do away with the factory Dodge Ram clutch fan and add the ever so popular Ford Contour dual electric fan set up that so many do on here.
The clutch fan sat too far outside of the factory fan shroud and at idle wasn’t cooling as much as I want it to.
6ADEC00C-18FA-4657-B157-E17A7A50BB4D.jpeg

Living in the desert and with the plan of running the AC all the time I want to be sure this thing stays cool all the time, even sitting in heavy Phoenix traffic.

My one dislike was the aluminum radiator takes away from the factory look I really like under the hood and the factory radiator cools nice when going down the road even In this 110°+ heat that we have through the summer months.
So after removing the factory rad/fan/shroud I started measuring the Ford fans and the factory Dart Sport shroud... this is what I came up with.

I shaved all of the factory ford mount points off the edges of the fan and shaved the surround about a 1/4”, shaved the fan blade protectors on the face of the fans to fit the Mopar shroud. I made some spacers and drilled 4 holes in the factory shroud and to make the Ford fans an integral part of the factory fan shroud. It is super stiff and the Ford fans are pulled right to the sides of the factory shroud.
It mounts perfectly to the original radiator and sits only 1/8”-1/4” away from the cooling fins.

My favorite part about this is I’m keeping the factory look when you open the hood and getting 3500(?)CFM of cooling power that you really don’t see at first glance!
I’m using a Dakota Digital fan controller with 2 70 amp relays to run the fans in variable high-low while driving and on full high when the AC compressor kicks on.

BFA0FA75-8E10-4A96-80FD-DDF73C6E0E60.jpeg
And it’s finished! I’m Loving the don’t see don’t tell thing! And it cools so well!
You have to really look to see it has electric fans! And they REALLY blast the air!
It’s really sorting out well, the fans never let it get over 185 in the 112° temperature it is outside today on my 30 minute shake down.
Now AC lines and a charge so we can cruise this thing in comfort!

260CE613-CEB5-4668-AD12-B6F068290DFA.jpeg

Well, after adding an aluminum radiator and routing the heater hoses this thing runs super cool in the 110 degree AZ heat!
Its a great car and pulls really hard, barking the tires in each gear change!

Im going to let the next buyer build the AC lines and charge the AC, as of now the Dart Sport is for sale on eBay and here in the classifieds for $15,500 OBO/Mopar trade?

I've got a ton more in the car but I built the car to sell and I know about what these later model Mopars go for.
Im sure everyone on here knows how much time and $$$$ it takes to put together any old Mopar and for this money someone is going to get one very well built, super nice turn key Mopar for very little.
Excellent first Mopar A Body to get into right!!!
Mopar To Ya!
IMG_2708.jpg
IMG_2716.jpg
IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

Man you know it does!
You know the saying "It will nickle and dime you to death!" has to really mean
"It will $50 and $100 you to death!"

Thanks for the compliment!

Every time I go to the bank the teller asks if 20's are ok. I say "Sure,, it's today's 1 dollar bill anyway.They sure spend like 1's."

I took the Dart Sport to a local restoration shop today to have it inspected for a potential buyer (at his request)
The shop owner walked around the car with the buyer and had a punch in hand and told him he will use the punch on all of the potential rust areas that may have been covered up...
as soon as the Dart Sport was on the lift he put the punch in his pocket and said “This car is better than anything we are working on and could be one of the most solid and honest old cars I’ve seen in a long time”
The buyer said “What on this car do you see as being problematic in the next 5 years or so?” the shop owner looked at me and said “What are you asking for it?” I told him I’d take $13,500 and he shook his head and promptly told the buyer, “if you like it you shouldn’t think twice about a car this good.”
He followed with, “I don’t think you’ll be able to find something this solid or as well put together and detailed as this car for anywhere near his asking price.”

We all shook hands and now I’m waiting to see if the guy actually comes up with the money tomorrow.
Cool experience! Nice to hear a third party speaking highly of the car I chose and about the work performed.

I left the underside alone for his exact reaction, I wanted anyone that looked at the car to see how amazingly solid it is everywhere. Not pretty, but amazing.

Eat your heart out rust-belt! (I just moved from central Illinois...)
A97C10D1-56AF-4D64-8D74-743C0FD3A1F3.jpeg
5CAF175B-0836-48C7-8B60-266FFD312711.jpeg
67D208AF-E517-4692-B3F1-639D25C724EF.jpeg
2A644512-02F2-442C-ACD1-1C8DF607E657.jpeg
0D109122-47DA-40AA-BCAC-8740327BBA04.jpeg
C08387F1-225B-4F50-B40F-7FB52BE9AEC4.jpeg
D46DC126-A0A0-4F25-B152-2C229C8D0DD4.jpeg
D31D6772-4D41-4FC1-8838-A8954003D53B.jpeg

I can’t wait to share the next gem I’m dragging home!!! want a hint? It’s a 71 with an H in the VIN...
upload_2019-10-14_17-16-41.jpeg

Mopar to Ya!!!

upload_2019-10-14_17-14-20.jpeg

And a Straight Axle!!!

Last edited:
-
Back