1974 Dart Swinger Build

-
Here is an update from my first post on plans for the car:

• Rebuild the 318 and build it up. Using some rebuilt 360 heads, air gap eddy manifold, probably some kb167 pistons.
  • Mostly followed this plan. Using the original 318 block bored 30 over with kb 167 pistons, eddy air gap manifold, but instead of rebuilt 360 heads I am using the Indy LA-X heads OOO with 1.92 and 1.625 valves. Went with the Comp XE268H cam.
  • Clean up the 727 and probably get a new torque converter. Eventually would like to do a 4 speed swap.. I have a thing for 3 pedals.
  • Unless I get w big bonus some day I am going to stick with an auto for now. Using my 727 rebuilt with stock converter at this point. I have an A518 that I am going to work on putting in the car in the next year or so
  • Rebuild the rear end. I believe it is a 8 1/4 and I would like to make it a sure grip. I don't think the rear end has ever had any work done to it.
  • Got this done. Put a sure-grip, 3.21 gears (it had 2.45 gears before), and put some disc brakes in the back.
  • Upgrading the suspension is a must. Probably a mix of things from Hotchkis and Firm Feel to go with the Hellwig sway bars already on it.
  • Pretty much followed this route. Here is a list: Hotchkis Parts: Rear Leafs, steering rod links, adjustable strut rods, shocks front and rear. Sent a k-member to FF for them to reinforce and powdercoat. I got some rebuilt LCA's on FABO a while back with reinforcement plates (forgot the member...). Using the SPC adjustable UCA's. The Hellwig sway bars I had front and rear already. PST 1.03 torsion bars. Also, went with the borgeson steering box.
  • There is also some trunk work needed, the bottom of the trunk for the spare is a little rotted.
  • Still need to do this
Additional items done so far:
  • Wilwood front disc brakes
  • 4 core radiator from this place: 3 Row Copper Radiator For 1974-76 Dart, Swinger, Demon & Duster
  • Still using the flex fan, upgraded to 6-blade. Might go electric eventually
  • Using a Summit distributor
  • Edelbrock 650 with electric choke
  • Have a Rev-n-nator to put on eventually
  • TTI shortys, still need to get exhaust and muffler put on, thinking magnaflow
  • New gas tank and sender from member devilchicken
I think that is most of it at this point. Can't wait to get the exhaust and alignment to drive this thing more.

Last edited:
Great work. I might suggest a no on the electric water pump for street driving. I tried it on my big block Dart and it just never got me what I wanted for temp, summer, traffic, parades versus highway with two spal fans. Might have been that the 440 was jammed in there with little room to breathe.

I should probably start getting some pictures up on here.

Last night replaced the trans lines, found a leak in the old ones. Another items checked off the list.

Been playing with the timing and tuning. Trying to get the Edelbrock AVS Thunder carb dialed in.

It is headed in the right direction. Drove it around last night and it feels and sounds pretty good.

Here are some photos for fun

July 4th - Engine start-up and break-in. Happy America!
Also, just noticed my fiance that photo bombed! She helps me out sometimes, I am a lucky guy
IMG_20170704_111833732.jpg

The hood fits!
IMG_20170709_131635188_HDR.jpg

Exhaust Shop: Dual 2.5" plus Hotchkiss sub-frame connectors installed
IMG_20170715_134041157.jpg

Broke down on the way home from muffler shop… found out I was out of gas
IMG_20170715_144142285.jpg

Visited my buddy I have known since 2nd grade at his work, He just got his bus running again. We used to run around in these cars in high school, great to see them side-by-side again
IMG_20170716_132047745.jpg

My Jeep that likes to interrupt work on the Dart haha
IMG_20170211_134317395.jpg

One of my bikes that also likes to interrupt work on the Dart
IMG_20170723_061616900.jpg

Last edited:
Cool pictures, thanks for sharing. And you've made some good progress with the car too. I wish I had more time to work on my '73.

Thanks for the pics, looks good, keep up the good work......and always carry a gas can in the trunk:thumbsup:

-
Back