1974 Dart Swinger

-
Hello again to all, we haven't posted anything in a while due to lack of time, money and good weather. But now we're back and working on the Dart again. Over this past weekend we installed a new windshield washer pump, lines and connectors we got from The Paddock. We also installed a remanufactured 2-barrel Carter carb from BFIC Fuel Systems. We just have to tune it a bit. We also finally installed the Edelbrock Signature series valve covers. The valve covers really give the engine bay some "pop".
We also have a chrome alternator bracket and bolt set to install as well as a new starter relay. We did some ordering through Year One, The Paddock, Summit, and some other places to get these goodies. I believe a complete brake system overhaul is next on the agenda.

000_0903.jpg

000_0904.jpg

000_0905.jpg

000_0906.jpg

000_0908.jpg

000_0909.jpg

000_0913.jpg

000_0915.jpg

000_0917.jpg

000_0918.jpg

Very cool how you got the young man out there wrenching with you.
Good stuff !!!
Amazing what a little chrome will do.

Possible 4 barrel conversion in the future ?

My son was actually "itching" to get started back on his car again. The work on the car has been a learning experience for him on everything from what tools to use, how tight to tighten a bolt, how to follow instructions, patience (which I have little of myself), besides how the mechanicals of a car work. Hard to believe that the engine used to look like this, complete with pine needles and 35+ years of grime and dirt. I hope my son learns how some elbow grease and simple work can transform and maintain a vehicle. I have a go-cart my 9 year old and I are going to fix up for him so he can learn these lessons at an even younger age.

engine B4.jpg

000_0915.jpg

wow this is my first time reading through this thread and im impressed. I just bought a 73 dart swinger and im stoaked to get started! I am really appreciating the way your engine bay is looking right now. good job guys keep up the good work! I love all the pics to, makes me feel like im over at a buddys house getting to see the progress.

Looking at your fuel line really scares me,way to close to the exhaust manifold. It should run down along the dip-stick next to the alternator, to the fuel pump. Would also be good/safe to get a metal line. Glass filters are a
hazard as well. Go metal.

in one of your previous posts you asked about side stripes, 68 GTS darts had them maybe they might be what your looking for, awesome project makes me wish my dad did something like that with me for my first car

Button, I have to agree with Johnny Dart. That is one scary fuel line set up.

A suggestion from a fellow MoPar guy: Make the next project a safety project / learning experience for your son and you. Take a trip to the local Auto Parts store and get some 3/8 steel line, tubing bender and let's get that fuel "hose" replaced with steel, the filter replaced with a real one = ditch the glass filter and everything secured and as far away from any heat source as practical.

I just thought about something else - I'm surprised it hasn't gotten vapor locked yet, with the hose being sandwiched between the alternator and the head/exhaust.

I agree with the assesment of the fuel line. It is next as we are going to install a chrome Holley fuel filter and the steel lines soon. We don't drive the car but around the block at this point because the front suspension components are shot. So any time it runs is with the hood up and with us standing right there usually.
What is the best way to "tune" the carb? Should I turn in both screws at the bottom and slowly back them out till it sounds right? Right now the car stmbles when accerating like it's getting to much/rich fuel mixture.

Turn both air-fuel screws in all the way (easy,dont over tighten) back them out 1 1/2 turns on each side. Start from there. Turn in untill engine stumbles,turn back out untill engine stumbles. Find the middle of the 2.

This is without a vacuum gauge or tach. If you have a vacuum gauge find the highest vacuum, or tach highest rpm.

Better yet,Google "tunning Carter BBD". You will get a thousand hits on how to.

Johnny Dart, thanks for the tip. I printed some "hopefully" helpful tips/instructions. The new alternator bracket bolts and spacer tubes came today so we hope to install the chrome brackets, new belts, and replacement starter relay this weekend. Of course, pictures will show the work done.

Damn you two have done a really great job! I love seeing father and son projects! Keep up the good work and now it's time to work on the interior!:thumleft::thumbrig:

Johnny Dart, thanks for the tip. I printed some "hopefully" helpful tips/instructions. The new alternator bracket bolts and spacer tubes came today so we hope to install the chrome brackets, new belts, and replacement starter relay this weekend. Of course, pictures will show the work done.

You got it. 8)

Sure would have been fun talking you into a Edelbrock performer intake with a 600 Edelbrock carb on that bad boy. This combo would have really woke that car up. !! Maybe next time. 8)

Picture 275.jpg

Picture 498.jpg

MI Mopar, glad you like the pictures! I've always liked seeing what other people are doing as well.

Blackace, I believe the order of work for the car will go something like this, but it's always due to change;
-Brakes
-front suspension
-dual exhaust
-all rubber seals on door, trunk, windows, etc
-roof painted
-interior (last but not least)

Johnny Dart, This car will be for my son while in High School and I remember how I was then, so no serious street rod for now. We're going for reliabilty and yet definite good looks that will impress those that see it. His friends are already jealous since he's a 14 yr old freshman. I've told him he'll never sell the car and it will remain in the family forever. So maybe years from now he'll hop-it-up and it will be in a car magazine somewhere!?!?! BTW, I really like the looks of your engine. That's what my dad suggested we do, but I'm partial to chrome, always have been, (you should see my Harley).
This weekend we'll install the chrome alternator brackets and starter relay, watch for the pictures.

Johnny Dart, This car will be for my son while in High School and I remember how I was then, so no serious street rod for now. We're going for reliabilty and yet definite good looks that will impress those that see it. His friends are already jealous since he's a 14 yr old freshman. I've told him he'll never sell the car and it will remain in the family forever. So maybe years from now he'll hop-it-up and it will be in a car magazine somewhere!?!?! BTW, I really like the looks of your engine. That's what my dad suggested we do, but I'm partial to chrome, always have been, (you should see my Harley).
This weekend we'll install the chrome alternator brackets and starter relay, watch for the pictures.[/QUOTE]

14......Now I get it. lol
Makes perfect sense,thats a better choice with the 2bbl.8)

What a great thread! Kudo's to ya for spending quality time with your boy.

I plan much the same for my boy,but he's just 4 right now. Started him early though. Had him helping me with dissasembling some magnum heads the other day. We both had a great time!

I cant waint another 10 years to build our Dart however. That needs to get going soon before the dream becomes just a fantasy....

Hey Jeff & Jefferey,

She's look'n sweet 8)

Sorry we haven't gotten together in a while - give me a shout sometime.

Jefferey - you're doing an excellent job with the car, your sports and being a "great," big brother to Mo... continue to show him what right looks like - you are his example. That's a lot of responsibility, and one you don't get the right to discard. Help him too with anything he may ask about his go-cart... brothers working a project will also have a lasting bond.

Remember - always choose the hard right over an easy wrong... it's not always fun, but it's worth it in the end
icon7.gif
icon14.gif

Gator

Does anyone have a front left, (yellow) side marker light? Ours is missing and I need it to pass inspection. Buying new is a little expensive just to pass inspection here in Texas. I may have to head over to Texas Acres and check them out.

I would like to say that I am very fortunate to be a part of this site. I put out a request both here on this thread and on the "Wanted" forum for a front left side marker light assembly. What I got as a response was most generous, as I was willing to pay for the parts. I wont name anyones names, you know who you are, but thank you both. No one asked for $$$ for the part, they just wanted to help a fellow "Young Gun" , (my son) with his first cars build up. I not only received the part requested but we also recieved window cranks, door locks, dash bulbs assemblies, fender mount turn signal indicators, and other assorted small parts. Each of these items was in better shape than what we have currently and will be used. I have been a member of other interest specific sites, (I research and document U.S. military armor, WWII to present) and I must say, this site ranks within my two favorite sites. Again, thank you to everyone for their support, advice, and help with our project. We can use every bit we can since the Army tends to limit my time, space, and resources, in sometimes, the most awkward times. MOPAR's rules!

This is a great thread. Your project kind of reminds me of my car and working on it with my dad. It is a good way to bond.
Im loving the thread

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the thread. I actually have a four day weekend coming up over Easter and hope to finally get the following installed, and of course I'll photograph the work and post the pictures.
-New replacement fuel pump
-stainless braided fuel line
-Chrome Holley fuel filter
-Duralast starter relay
-Chrome alternator bracket kit and new mounting bolts
-New belts (2)

Of all the work we have that we'd like to do, all we had time for today was to put the starter relay on. The old one worked but as you can see, it was aweful looking and I again, wanted something dependable so I replaced the rather inexpensive part. Bad weather is due here for the next two days so I guess the fuel pump, stainless braided fuel line, Holley chrome fuel filter, chrome alternator bracket and new bolt set will have to wait yet once again. However we did manage to get new knobby tires, fork seals, and a tune up done on his 1985 Suzuki SP250. My youngest sons 1979 Honda XR 80 got the carb rebuilt. Time to hit the trails with these classics!

000_0923.jpg

000_0925.jpg

Well today we finally had a break in the weather, so on Easter Sunday, my son and I installed some parts. Since we were informed our fuel line situation was not the best, we installed a new fuel pump, stainless braided fuel line, and a chrome Holley fuel filter to replace the rubber line and glass in-line filter. Replaceing the fuel pump was a reliability issue I wanted to address. Since we removed the alternator to get to the fuel pump, we also replaced the rusty bracket with a chrome one and a new bolt set as well as two new belts. Everything looks better and I feel more confident in the reliability of the parts since they have been replaced.
On another note, we purchased a set of 14X7 Crager S/S rims for the car, via E-Bay today for $305. These also included the lug nuts as well. My son really was wanting these and I had Cragar Super Tricks on my 2nd car so we've had our eye's open for a set for some time. These are supossed to be in very good shape, as seen in the picture. Once they are on the car, I'll be sure to post a good picture.

000_0954.jpg

000_0955.jpg

000_0956.jpg

000_0958.jpg

000_0964.jpg

000_0962.jpg

Cragar Rims.jpg

-
Back