1974 Dodge Dart Swinger Street/Track project.

-

74SwingerA

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently began to rebuild a 74 dart swinger I got for $350 dollars on craigslist - the car looks rough in the pictures but it is complete and rust is minimal since it has been sitting in a dry, hot climate of norther California. The body panels and front clip are all there and the only thing missing is the engine from the vehicle which I've already sourced a RB 440. The car will feature either a A833 or 727 auto (not sure yet), if I go with the A833 I will be purchasing a passonperformance complete but I am not entirely sold on the 3k price point.

The 440 was recently dyno'd at 557 HP and 537 Ft Lbs, so it's a rather mild build considered, and I have a 8 3/4 suregrip rear end for the swap. I am now building the parts list for the suspension and brakes - Currently what I have on the list is:

Hotchkins Front and Rear sway bar kit
QA1 Upper and lower control arms
Hotchkins front strut rods
Hotchkins Diamond Leaf springs
Full Poly bushings
Proforged Control arm shaft kit
Progorged Idler arm
Hotchkins Subframe connectors

I don't know what shocks/springs to get as I have never done an older vehicle. Let me know if you have any recommendations - this is a weekend track car which will see public road use as well. Give me any recommendations as to what would be best. We have Laguna Seca and Sonoma Raceway which both do track days. Not looking for a full on race car just a well handling fun car that can be used to go somewhat fast around the track too.

We're slowly moving along and this will likely be a year long project - Please keep in mind these are photos of the car in it's most primitive, located where we found it for sale. This isn't what I've done to the vehicle only the condition it was found.

Cody.

Dart3.jpg

Dart 2.jpg

Dart1.jpg

Try Firm Feel for a K frame reinforcement kit. I reinforced the LCA rather than QA1.
I have fitted Hotchkis TVS with adj Hotchkis shocks. Poly everything. 1.03 torsion bars but maybe you want even stiffer with a RB440. 1.12 maybe....

Try Firm Feel for a K frame reinforcement kit. I reinforced the LCA rather than QA1.
I have fitted Hotchkis TVS with adj Hotchkis shocks. Poly everything. 1.03 torsion bars but maybe you want even stiffer with a RB440. 1.12 maybe....

Great stuff - I figured I can probably save a little more going with the TVS kit vs individualized parts. Also funny stuff but QA1 is a brand as well as a part of the K-member. How many Torsion bars are needed and where would you recommend looking for these?

Thanks again,

Cody.

There are 2 torsion bars up front 1 on each side, they act like your springs for the front suspension, but they are a rod that has a twist in them with a adjuster. You can find them from jegs to summitracing or just about any mopar performance site.

This project looks like a blast and potentially amazing. This $350 Craig's List find '74 is just the kind of thing that inspires me.

You said "around the track" so do you mean road course kind of stuff? If so,the advice you've gotten so far sounds good. The parts list is obviously going to look very different for a drag focused build.

The only suggestions I would add may be slightly beside the point but possibly worth considering.

The 440 sounds just fine. I can't believe that we live in an era where a naturally aspirated V8 cranking out 550+hp is considered "mild." With enough traction, this Dart would easily crack the 11s. Dude. That's QUICK in anyone's book.

First thing I would do is look for aluminum heads and an aluminum water pump, incase this motor doesn't have them already. The heads will cost significant money but power improvements aside, getting that weight off of the front end of the car will be hugely helpful when trying to change direction!

Second, those 1974 bumpers have a ton of weight that can be removed without much effort...definitely look into that.

Third, chassis reinforcements are going to be incredibly disappointment. The subframe connectors are great but also look into torque boxes, steering mount point reinforcement, etc. The parts are cheap but the welding is costly if you can't do it yourself.

Fourth...spec out some modern (17"+)wheels that you can live with. There are no 15" street tires out there that are going to be worth a damn. @72bluNblu is a guru on this topic. His Challenger is running the most nearly "vintage-correct" looking 17"s that I have ever seen.

Fifth, leave the seatbelt interlock system in place. You'll have one of the last Darts on the planet to still have it! :D

Lastly...I hope you'll consider keepng this thing looking like a '74. Lots of guys don't like the "beak" and the rear treatment is certainly less elegant than previous years...but leaning into the mid 1970s aesthetic, even if it's not classically beautiful, can make for a unique and enviable machine. Just my opinion.

Keep us posted!

Hello,

I recently began to rebuild a 74 dart swinger I got for $350 dollars on craigslist - the car looks rough in the pictures but it is complete and rust is minimal since it has been sitting in a dry, hot climate of norther California. The body panels and front clip are all there and the only thing missing is the engine from the vehicle which I've already sourced a RB 440. The car will feature either a A833 or 727 auto (not sure yet), if I go with the A833 I will be purchasing a passonperformance complete but I am not entirely sold on the 3k price point.

The 440 was recently dyno'd at 557 HP and 537 Ft Lbs, so it's a rather mild build considered, and I have a 8 3/4 suregrip rear end for the swap. I am now building the parts list for the suspension and brakes - Currently what I have on the list is:

Hotchkins Front and Rear sway bar kit
QA1 Upper and lower control arms
Hotchkins front strut rods
Hotchkins Diamond Leaf springs
Full Poly bushings
Proforged Control arm shaft kit
Progorged Idler arm
Hotchkins Subframe connectors

I don't know what shocks/springs to get as I have never done an older vehicle. Let me know if you have any recommendations - this is a weekend track car which will see public road use as well. Give me any recommendations as to what would be best. We have Laguna Seca and Sonoma Raceway which both do track days. Not looking for a full on race car just a well handling fun car that can be used to go somewhat fast around the track too.

We're slowly moving along and this will likely be a year long project - Please keep in mind these are photos of the car in it's most primitive, located where we found it for sale. This isn't what I've done to the vehicle only the condition it was found.

Cody.

View attachment 1715092516

View attachment 1715092517

View attachment 1715092519
You forgot my steering box kit and delrin lower control arm bushings.

-
Back