1974 Duster Project

-

Aces

Reaction score
I picked up my first car on June 25th! Bought it for $1,000 has a rebuilt 318 with 15,000 miles. Being only 15 I've been saving money for quite awhile. The interior needs a new headliner and rear panels. The only problem with the car is that it needs the drivers side rear quarter patched, though the guy had the panels to fix it. Pic's below (Fixed the pictures) (Sorry about the turned pictures they'll be straight next time) Also if anyone has a rear bumper for the car i'd be interested in buying it.

Attachments

• image (6).jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 695
  • image (4).jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 682
  • image.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 712
  • image (1).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 730
  • image (3).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 677
Well that's pretty cool. Im 16 and in the final stages of restoring my 73. Car looks pretty straight. Don't forget to pace yourself and have fun! Also I think I might have a 74 bumper somewhere round here.....

Thanks! If you find it send me a Pm.
Also, could someone tell me what these fender tag codes mean, G52, A64, and V9W.

I ordered the tail light for it last night, as soon as it gets here it goes to the body shop! :cheers: :happy4:

Yes. What I was told is that it was parked on the curb and a drunk driver came by and took it out and a few other cars. It didn't damage the wheel well though, only the tail light panel and the quarter.

Decoded the Fender Tag today.
E44 = 318-2 Barrel
D32 = H-D A-727 TorqueFlite Trans / Some Years A-998
VL29
V = Plymouth Valiant / Duster
L = Low
29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop
G4G
G = 318 150HP(net) or 170HP(net) 1-2BBL 8 CYL
4 = 1974
G = St. Louis, MO, USA
294255 Sequence Number '294255'
KB5 = Paint Code: Unknown At This Time
D2B6
Trim = Grade/Style/Color
D = Deluxe
2 = Vinyl Bench
B6 = Medium Blue
000 = Upper Door Frame: Full Door Panel
626 = Date Built: 6 / 26 / 1974
948086 = Order Number: 948086
V4W = Roof Type OR Color: White Canopy Vinyl Roof
U = Built to Specifications for USA Order
A64 = 'Gold Duster' special package'
B41 = Front Disc Brakes Some Yrs. Power
C52 = Bench Seats
H51 = Single Air /w Heater
L31 = Hood / Fender Mount Turn Signal
L73 = Seatbelt Unfastened Light
M21 = Roof Drip Rail Moldings
R11 = Music Master Radio AM
V8W = Transverse Stripe - White
V9W = White Bumblebee Stripe
26 = 26 in. Radiator
END = End of Codes

Just waiting on the tail light to arrive than it goes right to the body shop .-.

I've had the drunk driver hit and run bs too...I know it's not "right" of me, but I'd sure like to do somethin' rotten to that person who rearranged my quarter panel free of charge-and it's been like 16 years ago. But I digress...

Looks like you picked up a good candidate for some restification-is that a sanden compressor A/C conversion? Good luck buddy and welcome to FABO! enjoy your stay and do some searches-you'll learn a lot here...

Yeah hit and runs suck. Should be quite an easy fix, to get that quater panel and tail light panel fixed its only gonna be $500. And Yes! it is, it was on the car when we bought it. The guy didn't even know what it was! Thanks!

Not much updates. Am on vacation right now. Will take pictures when I get home!
Tail Light arrived Monday car will be in the body shop tomorrow.

Looks like there is some work to be done. My first mopar was a 70 Duster so I'm kind partial to them, especially since your a young gun:) Keep at it, every hour you can get to wrench will help get it finished and on the road.

Thanks! At first I found a 67 notchback Barracuda but the guy sold it the day I was spouse to go look at it. But I really enjoy my Duster. Can't wait till its on the road once again!

Cars still there, been over a month. He has a GTO he's got to finish than ship to virgina. He said mine should be started about Mid November. In the mean time I may have found a parts car.

Not sure if you found a front bumper or not... I have a front bumper from a 74 Scamp...Same as a Duster, in Oklahoma...
Plus the hood, and grille.

Hey man! Nice to see some other people on here around my age. I'm 17, bought my car a few months back. Nice car! Dusters/Demons are probably my favorite A-body

Hey, I guess I'll jump in on this 'young guys with duster/demon/dart sport' I got my Dart Sport almost four years ago, when I was fourteen. My family owning a body shop helps every once in a while!

Advice: Don't skimp on the body work. Cheap body work is like a ticking time bomb, you'll be redoing it in a matter of time if you don't do it right.
There will be times you want to sell the car... don't. Unless you absolutely have to get rid of it for (insert extreme need here), you will regret ever getting rid of it. Stick through the tough times, and you'll enjoy it much down the road.
Most likely what your plan of what you want to do now will change down the road. The only thing I know to tell ya on that is focus on taking small bites. Use the K.I.S.S. approach (Keep It Simple, Stupid lol!)
If you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine, it will be worth every penny and second you have in it to you.

I bought my first Duster (1974) when I was 15, and that was 1984. Still have it today and love it!

Well guys it sure has been awhile, I've had to take many breaks from the car and FABO during the time but i'm back to working on it and damn does it feel good.

We got it back from the body shop guy late June (took him almost a year to finish it.)

MJgEWL3.jpg

hVBKWY0.jpg

Well now we are having a problem with what I suspect is the electrical. The car doesn't do anything when the key is turned. You can turn the motor over when the starter relay is "hot wired" (Forgot the actual word.) The fuse box has only two fuses that are getting power when the car is not turned on. The headlights do work. There is also only one wire that is "hot" going into the ignition, the rest are not getting any power when the key is turned.

That's basically all that has happened in the last year. Still need a bumper ;)

Funny thing my 73 was a VERY late build and came factory with a 74 rear bumper. I'll have to check if I still have it. If I do I'll shoot ya a pm.

Posted via Topify on Android

I really haven't posted on this thread in quite sometime.

Well for what updates have happened: Fixed an electrical problem thanks to the kind members in the Electrical/Ignition section, bought a bumper from 72bluNblu, have some trouble with the fitment of it, not sure what the problem is.
Ill probably post pictures of the problem soon so I can get feedback.

I've also developed a problem where the car seems to sound like it chuggs when started, It only does this sometimes though, not sure what it could be.

This is the problem i'm facing with the bumper, i'm not sure what it could be, the sides stick out about an inch or so. I don't know if its spouse to do that or not, same thing with the top of the bumper. Any input i'd appreciate!
3ee4dJ9.png

H8DqqqN.png

Thanks! :blob:

Did the body shop line the panels and test fit the bumper? From the pics above it looks like that was the side that had the damage. You have the same gap problem with your trunk. It looks like the tail panel and quarter are high on the left hand side.

-
Back