1974 Duster starting issue.

-

Aces

Reaction score
I went to go move my car last night and got nothing.
My radio and gauges come on after I attempt to start the car than turn the key back.
I have no idea what the cause of this problem is. :wack:

I went to go move my car last night and got nothing.
My radio and gauges come on after I attempt to start the car than turn the key back.
I have no idea what the cause of this problem is. :wack:

We need more details

TERMinology:

"Cranks" or "Turns over" means the engine rotates when turning the key to "start"

"Fires" means engine coughs, bucks, tries to run, possibly stays running

"Fires and runs" or "runs." Self explanatory

It the engine will not crank, we need to know is this an auto or stick?

Do you have the clutch depressed?

If auto, hold the key to start, and work the shift lever from park through neutral, see if you hear anything, click, tries to crank

Speaking of "clicks" what does it sound like? Raise the hood, listen, twist the key?

One small "click"

One large "clunk"

Many "buzzy" clicks

Nothing at all.

Might be the seat belt interlock. Stay tuned

Sounds like a dead battery to me.
Or a bad connection to the battery.

After that I would look at the starter relay if it just clicks when you turn the key.

I had that in the post but the site glitched and I gave up. :D

Also mentioned the ground cable connections at the block, but that went away also.

74 model has or had a seat belt interlock. Put any weight in the passengers seat and it would need to be buckeled up too. This one year only feature may have already been disabled in your car. If not, it probably should be. Even if, How someone went about disabling/bypassing may have been inadequate.

74 model has or had a seat belt interlock. Put any weight in the passengers seat and it would need to be buckeled up too. This one year only feature may have already been disabled in your car. If not, it probably should be. Even if, How someone went about disabling/bypassing may have been inadequate.

I figured out what my problem was today, one of the connectors on the seat belt interlock bypass that was done had came loose/almost fallen off. I fixed this and the car fired right up!
Thanks to everyone who tried to help!

Let me guess, twist on wire nuts ? Glad you found it.

I figured out what my problem was today, one of the connectors on the seat belt interlock bypass that was done had came loose/almost fallen off. I fixed this and the car fired right up!
Thanks to everyone who tried to help!

That interlock system gave people nightmares 40 years ago if that makes you feel any better. There's actually a button out on the relay under the hood that will give you one "free" start when pushed, in case you have that issue again.

That interlock system gave people nightmares 40 years ago if that makes you feel any better. There's actually a button out on the relay under the hood that will give you one "free" start when pushed, in case you have that issue again.

The thing to do is to bypass that reset. Take the two "yellowish" wires on the reset device and connect them permanently together

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=14304

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1969624169

-
Back