1974 Scamp some assembly required

-
I say within factory assembly standards for the year. How's the gap around doors?
Door gaps are factory. Not bad.
20190225_154328.jpg

Has a little rust in the left rear quarter. I'll address it after this thing is on the road.

Wire wheel work. Not much gunk, no reason to degrease. Maybe something later to help the paint stick. Will be changing the intake and oil pan and probably blast the valve covers.
20190321_201148.jpg
20190321_201209.jpg
20190321_201226.jpg
20190321_201244.jpg
20190321_201303.jpg
20190321_201319.jpg
20190321_201333.jpg
20190321_201344.jpg
20190321_201359.jpg

OK I was told this is a 77. Clearly that's not a 77. Says 2-26-what? Or is there only one year digit? I can't remember.......
20190321_201319.jpg

Sloppy sloppy. But hasn't jumped and the nylon teeth look good. Think I'll replace it anyway, Lol.
20190322_193448.jpg
20190322_193506.jpg

Dang buddy you looking good!! That engine bay Is spotless!! What kind of paint you using? I found a company to order my paint for my bay so I dont have to buy the whole gallon yet!
I have a few questions about your manual steering setup. Did you convert from a power steering system?

Dang buddy you looking good!! That engine bay Is spotless!! What kind of paint you using? I found a company to order my paint for my bay so I dont have to buy the whole gallon yet!
I have a few questions about your manual steering setup. Did you convert from a power steering system?
Thanks, bud. Krylon. Prep is everthing. Lol
Yes my car was power steering. I'm also converting to floor shift. Found a floor shift manual steering column real reasonable locally. If I hadn't I would have just slid the column shaft out (already tried, works fine). That doesn't scare me.

Thanks, bud. Krylon. Prep is everthing. Lol
Yes my car was power steering. I'm also converting to floor shift. Found a floor shift manual steering column real reasonable locally. If I hadn't I would have just slid the column shaft out (already tried, works fine). That doesn't scare me.
Did you get a 73 up manual gearbox or did use the small shaft one?

Yeah it hard to make out what that last digit is beside the 7 for what year it was cast. My guess would be a 0 or a 9. If it’s a 0 then it’s an early build 360 since I think they came out in 71?

Yeah it hard to make out what that last digit is beside the 7 for what year it was cast. My guess would be a 0 or a 9. If it’s a 0 then it’s an early build 360 since I think they came out in 71?
Yes that's what I was thinking. That would be way early. Got to be a 9 because it has the holes in the exhaust ports for the air pump. I'm leaning toward smogger motor. 79.

I suppose someone could have swapped smogger heads onto a 70 block. Before someone else says it, haha.

Last edited:
Yes but I haven't decided how I'm going to attach the other end. Pin, Bolt or weld........
I was thinking about that too. I wonder if it's long enough that you dont have to pound out the steering shaft in the column? I think drilling a hole all the way true and po putting a bolt thru would be the safest and easiest if you ever had to remove it again. If you weld it I can see it being a ***** to take coupler off the gear if need be.

I may go that route to it's cheaper than the original one and imo looks better.

I was thinking about that too. I wonder if it's long enough that you dont have to pound out the steering shaft in the column? I think drilling a hole all the way true and po putting a bolt thru would be the safest and easiest if you ever had to remove it again. If you weld it I can see it being a ***** to take coupler off the gear if need be.
Yep I'm thinking drill for the existing hole in the shaft. Grade 8 bolt. Done.

We have low profile non splined u joint couplers that you bolt through like that, that we use for Reach rods on the boats I work on offshore. Reach rods are used to open or close valves remotely. Will try and grab a photo later in the day.

-
Back