1975 Duster small sector manual steering box

-

Madcoy440

Reaction score
Ok going from power to manual with small sector gearbox. What pitman arm do I need. I got the Firm Feel adaptor and gearbox installed already..

Please help out by saying I am not going to have to take these dang pins out !!!

You need to either use all the steering linkage off a '68-72 A-body or a steering box with the big pitman shaft. I'm not aware of any conversion pitman arms.

Well, I don't know which I have. BUT, I went ahead and put every thing together. And every thing fits. That being said, I may have a hellova time with my headers but I will cross that in a few weeks. It looks and feels really good. I was told by the guy I got it from that it would fit. I dont see any issues at this point. If it was not right it would not fit????

The critical point would be the fit of the pitman arm on the pitman shaft of the steering gear. A '67-72 pitman arm won't fit onto a '73-up box at all. The '73-up pitman arm will fit onto a '72 and older box but it won't fit tight on the splines and will bottom out against the steering box and bind or just spin on the pitman shaft under load. If your pitman arm fits your steering gear and your linkage, it sounds like you have the correct parts. It's just that your first post stated that you have a '75 Duster (which has the large pitman as stock equipment) and a small pitman box which isn't stock for that year and is a mismatch. If the parts are fitting together correctly, one of those statements is false. Both pitmans attach to box in the same way but on the center link end of it, the early pitman curves underneath the center link and comes up from the bottom with the nut on top of the center link. The '73-up pitman goes down through the top of the center link and the nut is on the bottom.

62-76 A-bodies, 62-72 B-bodies, and 70-74 E-bodies all used the same manual box. Most of these boxes used bushings throughout, however, the B-body V-8 units were built for more abuse and used bearings internally instead of the bushings.
All manual boxes used a small sector shaft with the exception of C-bodies and vans to 1988. The big cars and vans used a large sector, presumably for added strength. It's also assumed these boxes used bearings instead of bushings.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/steeringbox.shtml

my 73 duster uses the stock 73 drag link with a manual box by using the Moog pitman arm K7075

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/moognumbers.shtml

That simply isn't true. The last year for the small pitman boxes was '72. All models after that used the big one. The earlier C-bodies and B-vans used a different case but would interchange with the '73 up boxes as they have the large pitman shaft too. The '62-6 boxes use a small diameter mounting bolt and came in a bushed (6 cyl.) or bearing (V8) type box. From '67-up all the boxes used bearings and the larger mounting bolts.

Getting back to the Original question....

I have changed from power steering on my 73 340 duster to manual steering . I used K7075 pitman arm with the existing 73 drag link...I do not know what year the manual steering box was, it has a small sector shaft. K7075 pitman arm fit that steering box and fits the 73+ drag link....

why would Moog make a replacement part for something that does not exist???

How is that now true?

Changing from power to manual or vice versa on the same year is not a problem with the center link. The problems come up when you change from the '72 and older parts to the '73 and newer parts. You can't mix and match. You have to use one system or the other.

wait...you said there were no small sector steering boxes after 72....and the 73+ drag links take different pitman arms and idler arms then the 72 and older because the direction was changed on how the engaged the drag link...

so there for why does a part exist K7075 that allows the small sector manual steering box to work on a 73 drag link, if no small sector steering boxes were build for the 73+ cars and drag links....

my manual steering box on the 73 duster is from an earlier car with the 73+ drag link....

I suspect your box is the large pitman version. That's what the K7075 is supposed to fit.

Well, this is getting very curious. I've pulled dozens of '73-up manual boxes and they were all large pitman versions. A, B, E, F-bodies.....they were all the same. Power boxes were the same thing.....'72 and older=small pitman, '73-up=big pitman. It was just the C-bodies and B-vans that were big the whole time.

I am using the pictures from http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/steeringbox.shtml as reference. I have the small sector box according to the pictures. The pitman arm that was on it fit tight and turns very nice. It is angled to fit thru the top of the drag link. It fits there really good and has no slop it seats good and feels great. I can post pictures of all this if it helps.

I am using the pictures from http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/steeringbox.shtml as reference. I have the small sector box according to the pictures. The pitman arm that was on it fit tight and turns very nice. It is angled to fit thru the top of the drag link. It fits there really good and has no slop it seats good and feels great. I can post pictures of all this if it helps.

sounds like you got it all together!!
what are future plans with the ole Duster??

It's getting a sweet little 30 over stroked 360 412 or what ever CID.. 727 83/4 355. It's a 42k mile grand mother car.

On my 72 Challenger. I just switched out my power steering to manual with a alum. unit i bought. Borgeson rebuild. It has the small sector spline shaft.
On my old power steering unit it was a large sector spline shaft. So that pitman arm is use less. Ordered the Moog K7075 unit today from Jegs which is where i first bought the steering box last month. When part shows up will post he results.

-
Back