1976 Duster 904 torque converter question

-

2kids

Reaction score
I've got a 76 duster original 318 was swapped out years ago by the previous owner and it's now a 225 slant 6.

It's a 904 tranny.

Question: I need a new torque converter are they the same for the /6 and the 318 as long as it's a 904?

Best place to find one?

Thanks
2kids

Question: I need a new torque converter are they the same for the /6 and the 318 as long as it's a 904?

No, torque converters stall at different speeds depending on which engine it is behind. In other words, let’s say you had a strong V8 and a converter that stalled at 3000 rpm behind it, now install that same 3000 rpm stall unit behind a stock slant six and because the slant makes a lot less torque, that same converter will stall 500 to 700 rpm lower.

Also there are balance issues, a slant is internally balanced, and I think a 318 is externally balanced where its converter has wights added.

There are a lot of custom converter fabricators out there that can make any stall speed you want, and there are stock converters available for a slant. Depending on your build, stock or hot, will determine which converter you need.

If you have a stock slant, stock converter is best choice. If you have a built engine you need to gather all the build details, rear gear ratio, intended use of car (street/strip/ race only) and have one built. Loose converters, that is, high stall converters can make a lot of extra heat when car is operated below stall speed. This generated heat requires transmission cooler, and perhaps a deep pan to keep transmission in safe operational temperature zone.

Reading between the lines I suspect that your slant is a stock engine. Good for you as stock units are less expensive. As to which brand to buy, I can’t advise.

All LA 318s were neutral balanced. L6 or 318, they will be the same price and probably the same convertor. Just make sure you get a post 67 neutral or internal balance convertor as the hubs changed sizes.

-
Back