1977 aspen rear end

-

RWN Mopar

Reaction score
Guys I am installing a 360 into a 75 dart sport, I've had the cars for years just getting to it now,
I purchased years ago a posi unit for an 8.25 which is what I was told the car had. it now seems that it is a 7.25. I have found a 1977 aspen with a 8.25 rear will this work in the 75 dart? not sure on the aspens axle width and spring perchs and if not what is my best vehicle bet to find an 8.25 rear end

It will work just fine after you move the perches. I have an Aspen rear in my Cuda.

Yup, move the perches in....F bodies are approx. 45".
Any 73-76 A body 8.25 will fit.

For the later rear ends -- I have some N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ # 445 Brake Shoes (10" x 2 1/2" w/ the slotted hole up top).....
Actually tough to find -- because at the tail end of asbestos being outlawed!!!! I don't hold 'em as trophies, though, first few
guys that want some, let me know, price is .... less than the current (garbage)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember too that the F-body 8.25" is wider than an A body 8.25". The F-body 8.25 is about 59.6" drum to drum, or about the same width as a 65-67 B body 8 3/4.

So, the perches have to be moved, the driveshaft will need to be shortened, and if you're trying to max out the tire width you'll need more backspace. Although with a Dart Sport you should still be able to use stock offset rims and run tires up to about 225 without any issues.

You can take a look at the specs here, it's listed as an 8 3/4 chart but I have some specs for the F-body 8.25's on there too.

An accurate 8 3/4" rear axle width list

-
Back