1977 scout 2

-

mopar426

Reaction score
what do you guys think about the scouts i just picked one up for 125$ its at the shop i work at and it ran when they pulled it in but the starter is locked up on it even after beatin the hell out of it.

so if even of you guys have ever owned one or no about them any info would be greatly app.

tn.jpg

You make me wish I still had mine. :-(

I had a 1978, 345, 2 bbl auto with duels and headers. Ran pretty good. Eventually lifted it with bigger tires etc. among other things. Scouts had rear quarter rust issues and the dreaded ignition box problems. Still a few around although not many back here in the east.

There are a fair number of internet sites for them and some parts are being reproduced. $125 was a steal. Show some bigger pictures.

Mike

my old man used to have a 69, 4 cyl 3 speed.... It was an animal! Wish I had cash/time for another toy because one would be in my garage!

thats way cheap you suck........My dad had a yeller one back ...holly crap in 82...not sure what year it was......it would literlly go anywhere....3.2 w/ a 1 barrell .....remy starter part # 25831 dealer cost is around 65.00 if you can find one.......

thanks for the posts it has some old 35s (super swampers) on it that dont hold air longer than a day so i ordered some mickey thompsom baja claws for it today. well the plans for it are: i have a 440 sittin around the shop that i was goin to put in my demon but with the amount of money i have saved up it wont even be close to bein done so im goin to put it in the scout. im not sure on what i should do suspension wise i was thinkin 3 inch body with a 4inch suspension not sure im new to the 4x4 thing so any help one that subject would be nice
thanks

holy crap.....that ought to jump off the ground....try www.pavementsucks.com my buddy use to be on that all the time they had allot dodge guys on there....just be careful allot of idiots aswell....they will have you putting a frigin diesel in it outta of a tractor trailor....you don't have alittle small block kicking around anywhere...

My Dad worked for Internatiol Harvester back in the 60's & 70's as a farm repair service and sales. They gave him a Scout the first year they were introduced (mid 60's?). It was a blue with a white removable top; 4 banger w/ 3 or 4 speed. Little thing would go ANYWHERE! Great memories of riding around in it when I was in my early teens! Loved it when Dad would take the roof off in the summer. Plowed thru the snow and minus 0 temps in Iowa extemely well!

a bunch of friends and myself used to go 4 wheeling, one guy had a scout with no floors and bald whitewall tires. the rest of us had newer trucks and jeeps. the scout would climb hills that the rest of us couldnt make it up with our off road tires.scouts are true 4wd vehicles instead of newer stuff that has 1 front wheel and 1 rear wheel pulling (like my old jeep) ive always had a great respect for scouts ever since then.

I had a bright orange scout II for a couple years, it was a 345 auto with a Dana 300 transfer case and Dana 44s front and rear. I tried my damndest to blow that thing up, it had a knock in the motor the whole time I owned it and it never let go. BTW unless you owned one you probably don't know but the auto trans was a mopar 727 mated to the dana 300. The only problem I had with the truck was the 345 had an odd electronic ignition module in the distributor, which died on me. It was hard to find and very expensive... I like the idea of swapping in a mopar motor, shouldn't be too hard to do! BTW I think it was a 79 or 80 model.... wish I still had it

holy crap.....that ought to jump off the ground....try www.pavementsucks.com my buddy use to be on that all the time they had allot dodge guys on there....just be careful allot of idiots aswell....they will have you putting a frigin diesel in it outta of a tractor trailor....you don't have alittle small block kicking around anywhere...

well i have the 318 thats in my demon but that has a loud knocking noise coming from the lower in lol. as for the 727 thing i was doin some research and it said that i was pretty shocked but happy so now i dont have to worry about getting one to fit.

Hmmm... Give me a deal on the Demon you have for sale and I'll ship you out my 4" Skyjacker lift springs form my old Scout II along with 2" grease-able Daystar shackles. I fit 35"s on mine with this setup with just a little rubbing off road.

For V8s, the Scout II you have only came with a 304 or a 345, and the 345 usually had a 2BBL. You can get a 4BBL intake for the 345, but it won't fit the 304 (and no, it's not an AMC 304, it's made by IH). Look in old IH school buses and big trucks for a 392. It will bolt right in place of a 304 or 345. :D

My Dad worked for Internatiol Harvester back in the 60's & 70's as a farm repair service and sales. They gave him a Scout the first year they were introduced (mid 60's?). It was a blue with a white removable top; 4 banger w/ 3 or 4 speed. Little thing would go ANYWHERE! Great memories of riding around in it when I was in my early teens! Loved it when Dad would take the roof off in the summer. Plowed thru the snow and minus 0 temps in Iowa extemely well!

1961 was the first year for the Scout.

I never owned one, or in fact knew anybody with one, but when I was growing up in the 1980s, Scouts were THE plowrig of choice- not an easy life, by any means. Thanks to our ferric oxide-friendly environment, they've all but disappeared.

65scout8.jpg

66scout.jpg

66scout4.jpg

-
Back