198 spec help

-

dusterfanatic

The 340 Hammer
Reaction score
i just can't find alot of info on the 198 slant six and i would like to know things like hp torqe and i want to know why they arn't as common as the 170 or 225

Thanks
Connor

100hp @4400 160lbs torque@ 2400.those are the specs for 72 anyway according to my motors manual.

nice i still can't belive they were rated that high in 1970 and in 72 they droped its kinda like the 1970 chevelle ss 454 had 450hp 1971 454 ss had 376hp

There was no difference in the power. The higher number is gross hp, the lower number is net. They started listing horsepower "Net" or with things like alternators and waterpumps hooked up.

The only difference in the 198 were the rods and crank. Everything else is the same. Cost the same to make, so, it went away. Lower profit margin.

CJ

Don't forget a lot of engines lost compression to accomodate unleaded gas and to comply with new emission regulations.
With carbs it meant lean mixtures and dialed back timing which equaled low power and lousy fuel mileage.
It was a mess back then.

There was no difference in the power. The higher number is gross hp, the lower number is net. They started listing horsepower "Net" or with things like alternators and waterpumps hooked up.

The only difference in the 198 were the rods and crank. Everything else is the same. Cost the same to make, so, it went away. Lower profit margin.

CJ
your absolutely right.i just looked at the specs again and from 72 on (at least in my motors manual)they have a notation next to the rating...at the bottom of the page the note indicates net rating.

Sure. Get a 225 crank and a set of 2.2 Turbo pistons. Have the block bored to accept the pistons and hook them to the 225 crank with the 198 rods. You will wind up with a 230 something slant (depending on overbore) with 9.5 to 1 compression. Add the cam and intake of your choice and enjoy.

Got one off eBay for 5 bucks and when I got there to pick it up, the guy gave me the block too. Last summer I bought a running 225 with an automatic trans off eBay for $65. The only thing expensive about them is shipping.

Up in Canada you should look at farm equipment. There were LOTs of self propelled farm things that used the slant 6 225. Some of them had Shot Peened Cranks as well. Just look for the Yellow slants for some fun.
Frank

hey i was wondering i would use the 198 block with 225 crank now i already gave a .40 over bore so im not going to do that again plus i already have my new pistons will my engine still get perfomance outa the 225 crank

-
Back