1980 360 La oil pump pickup tube install

-

illrad91

Reaction score
hello i got a 1980 360 la and it was for a truck so i installed the one for a car and im having trouble screwing in the oil pump pickup tube since everytime i twist it it hits the crank?
also when im intalling the gasket do i put gasket maker in the whole pan or just the ends where the crank and oil pickup are? thank you
this is the part im trying to install

Milodon 18650: Oil Pump Pickup Tube Small Block Chrysler Stock Replacement - JEGS
oil pan
Milodon 30755: Stock Replacement Oil Pan 1972-89 Small Block Chrysler 360 Car and 2WD Truck - JEGS

Last edited:
What's an oil catcher? Lets use the right terminology here so we all know what you're talking about. I haven't a clue.

What's an oil catcher? Lets use the right terminology here so we all know what you're talking about. I haven't a clue.
sorry its the oil pump pickup tube i also put the link to which im talking about thanks for the catch

sorry its the oil pump pickup tube i also put the link to which im talking about
Oh ok. That helps. lol You install the pickup before installing the pump.

do you happen to have a diagram on the removal by chance? does it need to be torqued? how many bolts do i need to remove?
It has two bolts that hold it on. It's self explanatory. Just look at it. That's your diagram. Bolt torque is 35 LB FT.

and it just comes out?
Yes. You may have to rock it back and forth a little but it will come right off. The important part is installing the pickup correctly. It needs to be touching the bottom of the oil pan slightly when it is in the correct place. That's with the oil pan gaskets in place.

Yes. You may have to rock it back and forth a little but it will come right off. The important part is installing the pickup correctly. It needs to be touching the bottom of the oil pan slightly when it is in the correct place. That's with the oil pan gaskets in place.
do you put thread lock or the thread sealant? also do you know what that hole next to is for does it need to be covered? its not my picture just one i found? and also am i puting gasket maker arount the whole pan or just the ends?

A5F1BAFF-C4FE-4442-851E-BF206E69F676.jpg

Milodon Oil Pan Gaskets: Milodon One-Piece Oil Pan Gasket am i putting gasket on the whole thing or just ends? top and bottom

That hole was used somehow in the casting process. It's nothing of use. If you're using a one piece oil pan gasket, there's no need for sealant. Also, you can use Locktite on the bolts. I prefer blue.

That hole was used somehow in the casting process. It's nothing of use. If you're using a one piece oil pan gasket, there's no need for sealant. Also, you can use Locktite on the bolts. I prefer blue.
not even on the main seal end part? should i use the locktite on the pickup tube is what i was asking

also do i plug that hole with something im afraid dirt and such will get into it no? do you recommend any plug

Pictures of exactly what YOU have will help, too. Not someone else's pictures.

You might want to use some anti-seize compound on the pickup tube threads, but, it isn't required. It's pipe thread, so, self sealing.

-
Back