1981 360 questions / differences

-

65s

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to purchase a documented rebuilt 1981 360 from a guy. It's never been run. He's asking $1500 along with an a-body 8 3/4" rear (I think it's got large bolt axles unfortunately). The guy's moving and needs to unload the stuff. I might even get it cheaper. He says it's got a purple cam, .40 over, stuff like that.

Are the mounting ears the same for a 1981 motor as an earlier, let's say 1970 motor? What differences are there with this motor compared to an earlier 318/340? I want to put it in my '65 Barracuda which currently has a 318.

Hope someone has some insight. Thanks.
Neil.

The engine has the same mounting as the earlier engines, the newer engines are a thin wall light weight casting and shouldn't be over bored more than .030 according to mopar, otherwise they are the same. The light weight castings started in 1977 and were used up to 1992, then the magnum engine came out. It should fit where the 318 is now but you'll have to change the drivers side motor mount as it will be different, or make a spacer to bolt it up.

If you get them, I have some small bolt axles to trade ya...lol. $1500 is cheap.

Okay, thanks guys. Maybe the guy knows it's been overbored too much? I don't know.

If I get it and don't want the large bolt axles, a trade could be possible. Are they directly interchangeable like that?

How is it that the rear end has large bolt axles? are they after market, cut down b,c,e body axles or is the whole rear end not really an a-body? Might want to ask.

Chuck

I wouldnt worry about the bore. You cant really go buy what Mopar says about the bore. Only way to know for sure is to sonic check them and if you ask someone who has sonic check a lot of block they will tell you theres no rime or reason to what blocks are thick and which arent.

diffrent mopar books conflict about only boring out thin wall casting, ive seen that they can only be bored out .030 over and i have a newer one that says even though its thin wall it can be bored .060 over, so id just hhave it sonic checked

-
Back