1984 A833 truck slant 6

-

Brian Hood

Reaction score
I found a complete 833 at a local u pull. It is a floor shift. It is not a floor top loader. It is a side loader. I know the bell housing is different from a 6 cyl to an 8. I am wanting badly to put this in a 73 Swinger. How much of this will fit. Will the Z bar and shifter fit an A body?will my V8 housing fit on this Slant 6 trans? I know I will have to modify the shifter. What about the tunnel? Any help would be appreciated.
Brian

do you have a 73 swinger with an AT and a V8?

Im not sure about the truck trans but if you have the AT now it will require a floor hump among other things.

I do have a 73 Swinger. It had a Slant 6 with a 904. However, I have a 318 and a 727 but I haave not installed it yet.

The truck 833 tranny are basically like the B-body 833. It is not a direct bolt in like one from a Volare or Aspen but it can be made to work. If my memory serves me right there is someone on here with a truck 833 in their a-body.

You will need a V8 bell with a 5 1/8" center hole.

Chuck

Putting a truck 833 where an automatic once lived in an A body is a major pain but it can be done, I've done it. You'll need a bellhousing, clutch,flywheel, pressure plate from a v8, the s6 stuff wont fit unless your running a s6. Then you'll need pedals, cutch linkage, z bar, floor hump for an A body, the truck stuff wont fit. The actuall shifter mechanism will work but you'll need a set of shiftrods and a shifter handle for an A body. Then you have to grind the front shifter mounting pad off the trans to clear the crossmember and drill and tap the rear pad to mount a new bracket that you'll have to fab to mount the shifter in the A body location. The truck trans is also about 3 1/2" longer so you'll need a shorter drive shaft too. Its much easier to use an A/F body trans then to try and cram a truck 833 into an A body.

agree with above [daliant]. It can work but much more "homework" is required. I would keep it and start gathering all the parts. Sometime you gotta work with what you got though. Biggest pain would be the shifter adapt. Its an overdrive trans.

Shortlist: hump for floor-Abody clutch linkage-Small block bellhousing with 833 OD register hole-A body shifter-clutch pedal- flywheel-shotened driveshaft-Z bar and mounts

-
Back