1987 360 questions

-

7dart0

Reaction score
so i got the motor from my brother in law for free. its a 87 block out of a dodge ramcharger. it has about 100k on it. motor had regular oil changes with mobil one oil and filters. im on a budget, what can i do? my idea was pull the heads check for cross hatching on cylinders if good put heads back on, replace oil pump, new gaskets, aluminum intake,750 edelbrock carb, cam and lifter kit(suggestions), timing chain. does this sound ok? it all going in my project 70 dart

tom

That sounds good to me, do the heads and new springs to match the cam you use. While you have it out check the bearings too. I bet they are like new.

any chance this motor could be a mid to low 12 second motor in my a-body?

thats ok this motor is to get the car going for a couple summers then i'll plan something out after that.

thanks

You probably won't get into the 12's but in a light car with the right cam and rear and a little head work it could surprise the crap out of you!

I wouldn't pull the heads if it ran right. I'd run a compression check on it and if all cylinders are within limits do your mods. You'll need to keep the cam on the small side since it's a low compression engine and the fact that stock heads will not allow much more than an actual .450 lift measured at the valve until the valve guides contact the retainers. A Lunati 60401 would be a good cam for it. You'll note that the Lunati is rated at .454/.475 lift but with the SB mopars compound lifter to pushrod to rocker arm angles it looses .020~.030 lift so you can generally get away with a cam of .475 lift. The Lunati is right at that limit of allowable lift and it's an aggressive grind that works well to build cylinder pressure on low compression engines. Since it's a pretty aggressively ground cam make sure and use the valve springs they recommend. Your factory pushrods and rocker arms will work with it fine. A 750 carb is not needed for a mild 360 and in fact a smaller 600 would probably have better throttle response and get better fuel mileage. Also, I can't say I have personal experience with the Eddy 750 but I've read several guys say they were problematic. If it were me I'd use a 600 Eddy or Holley. With it tuned right and the right gears and tires hooking up good it should get you easily into the 13's and be a nice cruiser with a good amount of torque that can blaze the hides when you like.

Put t ogether a combo of a 77 360,very mild R.V cam,(204/[email protected] intake,cheapo headers.Reworked Thermoquad,road runner converter w/3.55s.69 Cuda ,ran a best of 13.61 at 102.You might be surprised with that freebee motor.

-
Back