1987 A727 Trans Question

-

fastcorgigarage

Reaction score
I am getting a 87 Ramcharger off of a guy and 2nd gear is out. My question is would a rebuild kit from Autozone fix my issue, or should I look into getting another running trans to save on headache and time?

before you buy a rebuilt kit....tear the transmission about to see exactly what is wrong it it....

second gear is usually the front servo and band....something simple like band strut could fell out.....................

I am getting a 87 Ramcharger off of a guy and 2nd gear is out. My question is would a rebuild kit from Autozone fix my issue, or should I look into getting another running trans to save on headache and time?

As long as the kit comes with everything, I don't see why that wouldn't fix your problem. I've seen "rebuilt" trannys on cl for $400-800

Like Tony said check out what you've got first. May be a simple fix, may need a full rebuild. Won't know till ya check it out. Buying a used trans. is like buying a pig in a poke. No telling how long it'll last. I've seen so much crap posed as rebuilt I don't trust anything unless I know the rebuilder personally or it comes with a good written warranty.

Like Tony said check out what you've got first. May be a simple fix, may need a full rebuild. Won't know till ya check it out. Buying a used trans. is like buying a pig in a poke. No telling how long it'll last. I've seen so much crap posed as rebuilt I don't trust anything unless I know the rebuilder personally or it comes with a good written warranty.

X2. Big question on CL, who rebuilt it? Seen many rebuilt with a $3.00 can of spray paint, a new pan gasket, front and rear seal. I once had a customer that had the cheapest price in town on "rebuilt" transmissions, he was also the customer that bought the least amount of parts.

I wouldn't buy a "rebuilt" trans on Cl. I was thinking about buying a used one $50-$100 to get me by why I saved the money to get the other one rebuilt.

The 2nd gear band has an adjuster on the outside of the case. Take a 3/4 wrench and a 1/4" wrench and try to adjust it per the factory spec. If it threads way into the case - the band broke or the strut fell out. Both are fairly common. The strut falling out is an easy fix with the pan off. The band breaking is 2/3s of the way to rebuilding it.

-
Back